• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone see the Micro$oft advert last night?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see the Micro$oft advert last night?

Is it just me, or was this ad bit worrying:

The advert was basically a bunch of young kids messing with a Tablet/Laptop whatever laughing and smiling, then the voiceover going something along the lines of "These kids will have a great future, because they're using Windows 10".

WTAF?! Targeting an OS at young kids? Seemed to Me MS is trying to encourage all parents (ad was on after 9) into having their sprogs get good zombie staring, finger swiping and regular status checking skills at an early age, personally I want mine to be good at tech skills but more importantly good at playing outside, making dens, being active and having real interaction etc.

How long before they monitor what the kids click on, before sending some targeted advertising to the parents? Maybe it's just me but personally I can't see any difference between this and the, say, junk food ads of old which are now banned.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
      Is it just me, or was this ad bit worrying:

The advert was basically a bunch of young kids messing with a Tablet/Laptop whatever laughing and smiling, then the voiceover going something along the lines of "These kids will have a great future, because they're using Windows 10".

WTAF?! Targeting an OS at young kids? Seemed to Me MS is trying to encourage all parents (ad was on after 9) into having their sprogs get good zombie staring, finger swiping and regular status checking skills at an early age, personally I want mine to be good at tech skills but more importantly good at playing outside, making dens, being active and having real interaction etc.

How long before they monitor what the kids click on, before sending some targeted advertising to the parents? Maybe it's just me but personally I can't see any difference between this and the, say, junk food ads of old which are now banned.
      All good points. The funny thing is that it is now deemed as acceptable because it's delivered by shiny new technology... which makes it all ok.

Comment

You have to be a troll, you can't be serious, right?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          You have to be a troll, you can't be serious, right?
          Damn, I've been busted. I registered 7 years ago, just in case a long time into the future, I got the chance to troll the forum.

Typical example; a few weeks ago I was at a food pub and on a nearby table was quite a large family, consisting of parents, grandparents, one girl that looked about 6 or 7, and a couple of younger kids. The younger kids were messing about with each other, the parents talking to and about them etc., and at the end of the table the girl was playing on (her|her parents) iSheep, not talking to anyone and only saying the bare minimum inbetween. This was for the entire time they were there.

Point is I think some parents are sleepwalking into a situation where they think if their kid is playing some game or on facebook all the time, everything is OK. I somehow doubt that theory...
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Wow; 2 minutes to see and open a new thread, read the post, open a new tab and type keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk, think of something witty, type it in and paste is back into the forum.

That's mighty impressive.

Comment

Presumably Microsoft realise that as all people of adult age have already suffered the misery of using Windows, their only hope is in trying to con a few kids into using it

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                How old do you have to be to have used Gem, CP/M86, CP/M80 or Minix?

<ZG contemplates that the install disks for DRDOS and GEM are lurking somewhere.>
                As old as us

Comment

I've still got a 3 1/2" floppy.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I've still got a 3 1/2" floppy.
                    So it never shrunk as you got older, like most people
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X