• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car insurance claims

OK, parked up the beemer sport at client co; heard some form a scraping as I parked up front end first. Got out, seems bottom of front spoiler scuffed the top of the kerb stone, thought nothing much about it. Happened before, nothing major. End of play, get in car, reversed out, more scraping but a bit more noticeable. Thinking it's just minor, drive home.

Parks up on drive, gets out of car. Checks underneath front end, and have damaged bottom of spoiler, plus (on closer inspection under front of the car), have damaged the under engine protective covering (don't know proper name) where it seems it bolts to the underside of front faring bit...several bits of bodywork/plastic faring torn off. Guess it's a case that car must have squatted down a bit as I got in (no I'm not overweight), causing faring to drop over rear lip of kerb stone, and that's where the main damage was done on reversing.

Expensive? Covered by fully comp insurance?
    Clarity is everything

Expensive? Possibly, but likely sub £1k, depends on the damage and the model.

Covered? Very probably, but subject to excess.

The main thing is if you claim, you will have to declare it on every insurance form for at least 5 years and any type of claim increases the insurance costs. No other parties were involved so you can argue if challenged it was a wear and tear repair. Odds are if you get say £600 off the insurance claim then you will pay that back plus a fair bit in extra premiums (no claims bonus means jack all these days).

I'd get recommendations of decent body shops and get some quotes.

Comment

If you are a real contractor then you'd just get a new BMW...

Comment

Were you driving the Kamakiri?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamakiriad
        Last edited by Scruff; 7 August 2015, 09:11. Reason: By means of explanation for the uninitiated.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Surely if you have a bmw you should be parked up the arse of the car in front on the m5?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            If you are a real contractor then you'd just get a new BMW...
            Real contractors only drive reliable old cars over 15 years old.
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              OK, parked up the beemer sport at client co;
              Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Me too!

That's a gleamer of a beemer
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Have you had a good look underneath? Those plasticy bits (which are there more for the air flow than to protect anything) might just have come off and can be easily re-attached.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Expensive? Possibly, but likely sub £1k, depends on the damage and the model.

Covered? Very probably, but subject to excess.

The main thing is if you claim, you will have to declare it on every insurance form for at least 5 years and any type of claim increases the insurance costs. No other parties were involved so you can argue if challenged it was a wear and tear repair. Odds are if you get say £600 off the insurance claim then you will pay that back plus a fair bit in extra premiums (no claims bonus means jack all these days).

I'd get recommendations of decent body shops and get some quotes.
                    Got no claims protection so I think I'm eligible to 2 claims within a 5 yr period without impacting future costs.
                    I'll take to the dealer & see what excessive price they throw at me...hence reason thinking of using insurance as opposed to denting own pocket.

Did think of replacing the car, in accordance with contractor code of practice, but that would have had a negative impact on the caribbean hols funds & the other half wouldn't have liked any interruption to normality
                    Last edited by SteelyDan; 7 August 2015, 09:27.
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                    X