PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance claims

SteelyDan
6th August 2015, 21:45
OK, parked up the beemer sport at client co; heard some form a scraping as I parked up front end first. Got out, seems bottom of front spoiler scuffed the top of the kerb stone, thought nothing much about it. Happened before, nothing major. End of play, get in car, reversed out, more scraping but a bit more noticeable. Thinking it's just minor, drive home.

Parks up on drive, gets out of car. Checks underneath front end, and have damaged bottom of spoiler, plus (on closer inspection under front of the car), have damaged the under engine protective covering (don't know proper name) where it seems it bolts to the underside of front faring bit...several bits of bodywork/plastic faring torn off. Guess it's a case that car must have squatted down a bit as I got in (no I'm not overweight), causing faring to drop over rear lip of kerb stone, and that's where the main damage was done on reversing.

Expensive? Covered by fully comp insurance?

TykeMerc
6th August 2015, 21:57
Expensive? Possibly, but likely sub £1k, depends on the damage and the model.

Covered? Very probably, but subject to excess.

The main thing is if you claim, you will have to declare it on every insurance form for at least 5 years and any type of claim increases the insurance costs. No other parties were involved so you can argue if challenged it was a wear and tear repair. Odds are if you get say £600 off the insurance claim then you will pay that back plus a fair bit in extra premiums (no claims bonus means jack all these days).

I'd get recommendations of decent body shops and get some quotes.

AtW
6th August 2015, 22:20
If you are a real contractor then you'd just get a new BMW...

Scruff
7th August 2015, 06:36
Were you driving the Kamakiri?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamakiriad

TheLordDave
7th August 2015, 07:59
Surely if you have a bmw you should be parked up the arse of the car in front on the m5?

rl4engc
7th August 2015, 08:04

Real contractors only drive reliable old cars over 15 years old.

DimPrawn
7th August 2015, 08:35
OK, parked up the beemer sport at client co;

Me too!

http://www.jimmy540i.com/nightmare54.jpg

SteelyDan
7th August 2015, 09:08
Me too!

http://www.jimmy540i.com/nightmare54.jpg

That's a gleamer of a beemer

VectraMan
7th August 2015, 09:13
Have you had a good look underneath? Those plasticy bits (which are there more for the air flow than to protect anything) might just have come off and can be easily re-attached.

SteelyDan
7th August 2015, 09:15
Expensive? Possibly, but likely sub £1k, depends on the damage and the model.

Covered? Very probably, but subject to excess.

The main thing is if you claim, you will have to declare it on every insurance form for at least 5 years and any type of claim increases the insurance costs. No other parties were involved so you can argue if challenged it was a wear and tear repair. Odds are if you get say £600 off the insurance claim then you will pay that back plus a fair bit in extra premiums (no claims bonus means jack all these days).

I'd get recommendations of decent body shops and get some quotes.

Got no claims protection so I think I'm eligible to 2 claims within a 5 yr period without impacting future costs.
I'll take to the dealer & see what excessive price they throw at me...hence reason thinking of using insurance as opposed to denting own pocket.

Did think of replacing the car, in accordance with contractor code of practice, but that would have had a negative impact on the caribbean hols funds & the other half wouldn't have liked any interruption to normality :)

TheLordDave
7th August 2015, 09:26
Real contractors drive 10 year old mondeos with an oil leak.... I do anyway. Don't wanna upset the permits.

SteelyDan
7th August 2015, 09:26
Have you had a good look underneath? Those plasticy bits (which are there more for the air flow than to protect anything) might just have come off and can be easily re-attached.

Yes I did VM, sadly they are damaged beyond repair, and have effectively been torn off (I've got 3 bits in the garage), causing mild damage to underside of front faring/spoiler thingy. It's as if they slide in under the faring, and are secured by bolts, which have been torn off. The underside cover thing, despite being made of sturdy stuff is now not fully secure - not flapping as it's quite rigidly made. Plus it's a bugger to get underneath fully, owing to sports suspension and the faring itself. Would need a ramp/pit to have a better look.
Planning on going to Wales for long weekend, but have decided not to take my car, and take beemer no. 2 (wife's) instead. Worry is, whatever's gone on underneath could affect stability at high speeds, or cause increased vibration. Might be over cautious but it's a 5 hour trek so minimising risks.

DimPrawn
7th August 2015, 09:27
Real contractors drive 10 year old mondeos with an oil leak.... I do anyway. Don't wanna upset the permits.

:spel

muppets

Lockhouse
7th August 2015, 09:31
The spoiler might be difficult but the plastic bits just get them off eBay and swap them yourself or get a competent mate to do. It will only take half an hour.

When the daughter's ten year old 325i got written off after someone took off the front wing and bumper I got a nearly new replacement from eBay for £200, swapped them myself and had a bodyshop do the paint for another £150. Used it as my runabout for the next three years. Bangernomictastic!

darmstadt
7th August 2015, 10:04
I now put the parking sensors on when parking up against a kerb as I've scratched under the spoiler a few times and M spoilers are lower than normal beemers and bloody expensive :mad

TykeMerc
7th August 2015, 13:41
Got no claims protection so I think I'm eligible to 2 claims within a 5 yr period without impacting future costs.
I'll take to the dealer & see what excessive price they throw at me...hence reason thinking of using insurance as opposed to denting own pocket.

Did think of replacing the car, in accordance with contractor code of practice, but that would have had a negative impact on the caribbean hols funds & the other half wouldn't have liked any interruption to normality :)

No claims protection means bugger all. The no claims percentage is discounted from the base insurance cost and it's the percentage that's "protected" if you've had a claim the base cost goes up in big lumps as your risk profile changes, only claim if you have to and it's a large amount, otherwise you pay out more in increased premiums than the claim value in the long run.

DimPrawn
7th August 2015, 13:49
No claims protection means bugger all. The no claims percentage is discounted from the base insurance cost and it's the percentage that's "protected" if you've had a claim the base cost goes up in big lumps as your risk profile changes, only claim if you have to and it's a large amount, otherwise you pay out more in increased premiums than the claim value in the long run.

Yep.

When you renew, your premiums will go up because you have claimed and are now a very high risk. So even though the discount will remain the same with protected no claims, the premium will rocket. If the repairs are going to cost like £5K, claim.

BrilloPad
7th August 2015, 13:50
I thought to drive a BMW you had to be a pimp?

TykeMerc
7th August 2015, 13:56
I thought to drive a BMW you had to be a bell end?

FTFY .... The reputation of BMW drivers is pretty secure due to the overwhelming quantity of them that belong to the middle and outside lane owners clubs and drive like utter arseholes.

DimPrawn
7th August 2015, 14:15
FTFY .... The reputation of BMW drivers is pretty secure due to the overwhelming quantity of them that belong to the middle and outside lane owners clubs and drive like utter arseholes.

Sadly BMW drivers have lost that accolade to Audi drivers, and runners up wannabe VW drivers (usually Golf GTD - look my diesel can do 155mph and an inch from your rear bumper too!)

greenlake
7th August 2015, 16:44
A roll of duct tape or packing tape should fix it....

http://new2.fjcdn.com/pictures/Quick_575687_1415396.jpg

ZARDOZ
9th August 2015, 12:46
OK, parked up the beemer sport at client co; heard some form a scraping as I parked up front end first. Got out, seems bottom of front spoiler scuffed the top of the kerb stone, thought nothing much about it. Happened before, nothing major. End of play, get in car, reversed out, more scraping but a bit more noticeable. Thinking it's just minor, drive home.

Parks up on drive, gets out of car. Checks underneath front end, and have damaged bottom of spoiler, plus (on closer inspection under front of the car), have damaged the under engine protective covering (don't know proper name) where it seems it bolts to the underside of front faring bit...several bits of bodywork/plastic faring torn off. Guess it's a case that car must have squatted down a bit as I got in (no I'm not overweight), causing faring to drop over rear lip of kerb stone, and that's where the main damage was done on reversing.

Expensive? Covered by fully comp insurance?

It may be more cost effective not to go through the insurance. If the car isn't new I would get a quote from. Smart repair company, they can fix plastic bumpers. The bits which have come off most likely fix with plastic screws so probably available to buy off ebay etc. It may be 200-400 this way.

Through insurance at least 250 excess, then your policy will be re-rated for a claim, possibly adding hundreds to the premium for 5 yrs. As said above no claims protection only applies after risk calculated.

In summary insurance route cost at least 1000 pounds likely more, and if you change car for higher group even more again. Some (cheap) insurers will no longer even quote you.

Private repair probably less than 500

Churchill
9th August 2015, 13:06

If he were a real contractor he wouldn't be driving a bmw, "sport" or otherwise.

AtW
9th August 2015, 14:54
If he were a real contractor he wouldn't be driving a bmw, "sport" or otherwise.

Chauffeur driven limousine FTW

HTH

RealMF

PurpleGorilla
9th August 2015, 17:35
I thought to drive a BMW you had to be a pimp?

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2954/bmwsz.jpg

BMW 3.0CS

DimPrawn
10th August 2015, 08:45
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2954/bmwsz.jpg

BMW 3.0CS

Yes you are correct that is a 3.0CS.

What is your point poster?

Dactylion
10th August 2015, 17:33
Yes you are correct that is a 3.0CS.

What is your point poster?

I think his point was that you don't have to be a pimp to drive a beemer.

By way of example he showed an instance of a beemer that you wouldn't need to be a pimp to drive (you might need to be a blind, pished hairdressser after snorting coke but not a pimp)

DimPrawn
10th August 2015, 17:57
I think I might have to put this one through the insurance.

http://content.worldcarfans.co/2014/3/24/big/16290080441984716612.jpg

:o

BrilloPad
10th August 2015, 17:57
WWJCD

What would Jeremy Clarkson Drive?

TykeMerc
10th August 2015, 18:27
I think I might have to put this one through the insurance.

http://content.worldcarfans.co/2014/3/24/big/16290080441984716612.jpg

:o

Nah, eBay a few bits and bobs and some Tcut, it will buff out I'm sure.

PurpleGorilla
10th August 2015, 21:06
I think his point was that you don't have to be a pimp to drive a beemer.

By way of example he showed an instance of a beemer that you wouldn't need to be a pimp to drive (you might need to be a blind, pished hairdressser after snorting coke but not a pimp)

Actually I was offering the 3.0CS as the ultimate gangsta pimp wagon.

PurpleGorilla
10th August 2015, 21:16
BMW contractor wagon:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504022289179?atmobcid=soc3

Maybe the 6 is the ultimate pimpsta?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409257698530?atmobcid=soc3

greenlake
10th August 2015, 21:23
Actually I was offering the 3.0CS as the ultimate gangsta pimp wagon.

And for a purple gorilla such as yourself....?

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1090/902838203_067c2cbba7.jpg

TykeMerc
10th August 2015, 21:30
And for a purple gorilla such as yourself....?

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1090/902838203_067c2cbba7.jpg

Nah, from the looks of it the suspension is completely nadgered.