• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

******* Dartford Crossing!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

******* Dartford Crossing!

Went for a trip to Bluewater in June, roadworks and everything you can thing of around the crossing, but no barriers, so I assumed that they had suspended the fee while there are not toll booths.

I was wrong, two penalty demands so the £2.50 trip is now £72.50 each way!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

You could fly there cheaper than that

Comment

There are signs up.

Comment

Toll booths at the Dartford Crossing on the M25 have been removed - with motorists now having to pay online, over the phone or at a retail outlet with a Payzone terminal.

The move is an attempt to reduce heavy congestion on both sides of the crossing, which allows drivers on the M25 to cross the River Thames between Dartford, Kent and Thurrock, Essex using the bridge or tunnel.

Payment must be made by midnight on the day after the crossing, with fines applicable if you fail to do so. The fine for non-payment of the toll is £70. This is reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days, but increases to £105 if not paid within 28 days. The fine is for each crossing, so forgetting to make payments for a return trip could cost you £140 in total.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          There are signs up.
          Presumably they expect you to read detailed instructions as to how to pay whilst driving at 70mph.

I had no idea this was the case; not that I ever go that way.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I bet they make more money from fining people who don't know this than from those that pay the toll.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Presumably they expect you to read detailed instructions as to how to pay whilst driving at 70mph.

Yes and then use your mobile phone to pay whilst doing it.

I remember the parking fee in Cyprus a few years back. 20c per hour, but if you didn't pay they fined your 5 Euros. Seems a bit more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                There are signs up.
                I knew about the toll, so last time I was in England (hiring a car) I was prepared. Even looking out for the signs, I saw a grand total of one. Very easy to miss. It's an utter mess - compare and contrast with the tolled sections of the M1 in Ireland, that use a similar system. Somehow they've managed to make it really clear what you need to do.

The website for the Dartford Crossing is crap as well.

Tell you what, SimonMac. Next time I've in the UK with my own car (non-UK registered), I'll go over the Dartford Crossing and send you the £2.50 charges.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

If you are driving around the crossing at 70mph you are over the speed limit.

The limit is 50mph for at least a mile before you enter the tunnel or the bridge. They also have speed cameras some of which actually work according to my sat nav (though I've never personally tried to trigger them)

When you actually go through the booths the speed limit is lower than 50mph which in theory gives you or one of your passengers enough time to read the signs.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you are driving around the crossing at 70mph you are over the speed limit.

The limit is 50mph for at least a mile before you enter the tunnel or the bridge. They also have speed cameras some of which actually work according to my sat nav (though I've never personally tried to trigger them)

When you actually go through the booths the speed limit is lower than 50mph which in theory gives you or one of your passengers enough time to read the signs.
                    "or one of your passengers" - should be irrelevant!

Comment

Working...
                    X