• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed re Landlord

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed re Landlord

Currently in a rented house in which my little lad has had five asthma attacks over the last 6/8 months.

The boiler broke on Friday. Landlord says he has British gas home plan, engineer booked for Monday. Fine, I know it takes time for these things. British gas bloke came today, says cannot touch this, sticks a "do not turn this boiler system on unless fixed and inspected by a corgi engineer as the fume is not sealed" offical sign on the boiler. True there is a big gaping hole around the fume. Landlord tells me this is ok as the fume extends a long way from the wall. It has been like this since the boiler was fitted (Jan). The git has never had the boiler inspected. He phoned up to get the British gas cover after I told him the boiler was broken. The engineer was not coming today to fix it; he came to inspect the boiler to see if it could be covered.

I asked the landlord to see the gas certificate that all landlords are required to have, as whoever signed it off needs sacking now. Turns out the dodgy feker hasnt got one.

I asked him for the name of the company and engineer who fitted the boiler. he said he cannot say as they guy was doing a 'backhander'.

Great the landlord wants to fek around with the safety of tennants to save a few quid.

He has NO gas safety certificate and gets important jobs done by cowboys moonlighting.

It's possible but not conclusive that my sons attacks were caused by gases coming back into the house.....it's a fact that he doesn’t hold the full gas safety certificates that a landlord (and I presume any homeowner) is legally obliged to have.

What my next action????
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Without a gas certificate he is commiting an offence. This might be a good place to start. http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqlandlord.htm#12.

As a matter of some urgency get CO levels checked. It''s often a killer.

A safety check for electrical installations is (currently) still optional.

Comment

I believe local councils have certain powers over such people - every flat I have lived in recently has a 'Tenants Rights Pack', outlining the obligations of the landlord, especially with regards to safety.

Bear in mind that I live in Scotland, but I would imagine the law is similar throught the UK.

The pack outlines the Landlords responsibilities including:

"Any rented property that has gas in it must, by law, have a landlord's gas safety certificate. If a landlord does not comply they could potentially face a fine of up to £5000 and possible imprisonment. Unsafe gas mains / appliances can result in loss of life. What to lookf for:

Staining, soot or discolouration around a gas fire or around the top of a water heater or central heating boiler.

A yellow or orange flame (instead of blue) in a gas appliance.

You feel the onset of symtoms such as tiredness, headache, nausea, dizziness, and pains in the chest or stomach (often mistaken for symptoms of cold or flu).

Although it is not compulsory it may be advisable to ask the landlord to fit a carbonmonoxide alarm or purchase one yourself'.

I have one of these:

http://www.envirotecproducts.co.uk/

It then lists 4 different departments that handle enforcement of these regulations. First step I would take, as suggested by an earlier poster, is to check CO levels, and if there is any hint of a problem there, ask the council to take their own measurements for any future legal action.

The guy has put your lives at risk - and he will do it to other people if he isn't forced to comply with the law. My last contract was for a council on a Housing Management System - every single one of the landlords was investigated before they were allowed to register, and tenants had the right to request the council visit the property to check if it was suitable for habitation.

The Citizens Advice Bureau can also advise on next steps, and the small claims court can be used to recover any money you might spend getting an engineer in.

www.hse.gov.uk

www.corgi-gas-safety.com

Most relevant sections:

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/sect...aw/the_law.asp

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/sect..._installer.asp

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/sect...complaints.asp

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/sect...ts_tenants.asp

"
      If you or someone else is concerned about gas safety where you or they live you can ring the Health & Safety Executive Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300363 or Transco's gas emergency service on 0800 111999
      "
      Last edited by mcquiggd; 2 October 2006, 21:58.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

By the time Hank has read all that his face would have turned blue.

Comment

Just trying to be helpful (for once! )

Iv'e had enough of dodgy landlords - that's why I never pay the last months rent, in case they try to rip me off by claiming 'cleaning costs' without being able to supply a receipt.

But messing around with a gas installation is a whole lot more serious.

This is probably the link i'd go to first (after getting a C0 detector)

http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/sect...complaints.asp
          Last edited by mcquiggd; 2 October 2006, 21:57.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Thanks mcquiggd, lot of effort, much appreciated.

Comment

No problem... check out the last link - it specifically says Corgi can send an inspector round for free, asks if an official warning notice has been placed on the appliance (which is of course, has), and gives a freephone emergency number for Transco. It should'nt cost you a penny - landlord will be scared witless by the threat of prosecution. I would definitely get a CO detector though - about £30. I have one as my boiler is in a cabinet in my bedroom. £30 is less than I spend on a mouse, so it makes sense for me.
              Last edited by mcquiggd; 2 October 2006, 21:57.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                No problem... check out the last link - it specifically says Corgi can send an inspector round for free, asks if an official warning notice has been placed on the appliance (which is of course, has), and gives a freephone emergency number for Transco. It should'nt cost you a penny - landlord will be scared witless by the threat of prosecution. I would definitely get a CO2 detector though - about £30. I have one as my boiler is in a cabinet in my bedroom. £30 is less than I spend on a mouse, so it makes sense for me.
                Just registered the concern on the corgi website, asked the landlord for the installers corgi number, he wouldnt give it to me for love nor money.
                Your right he is sh1tting it. I've just let him know I have registered the complaint. He came around earlier to fill the gaps around the fume, he cant even do that correctly, trying to cover up his tracks but the cement is still wet......hehe
                I've taken pics and a video of the shoddy work

detector ordered.
                Last edited by HankWangford; 2 October 2006, 19:52.

Comment

The landlord is committing a criminal offence. Also by law he MUST give you a copy of the yearly gas safety certificate.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Phone up CORGI and tell then what he has just said, they will do thier nut and hunt down the guy who did it as a backhander and sue his ass off. They take this sort of thing very seriously.

Comment

Working...
                    X