• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chinese boom.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese boom.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-huge...1.html#fcSf4lp

Now that's what I call a boom.

For dear old freako, this relates to the explosion in China which has, so far, led to some 44 deaths.

At least 50 people are dead and hundreds injured after two large explosions hit an industrial area in the Chinese city of Tianjin.

Authorities also said they have lost contact with 36 firefighters at the scene and 12 of them have been confirmed as among the dead. They were among more than 1,000 firefighters sent to fight the flames.

Around 700 people have been injured, including 71 seriously, the official Xinhua news agency said.

The first explosion, equivalent to three tonnes of TNT, happened at around 11.30pm local time, state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) reported.

The explosion, believed to have involved a shipment of explosives, sent huge fireballs into the air and triggered a blast wave that could be felt miles away, CCTV said.

The second blast, which was equivalent to 21 tonnes of TNT, happened about 30 seconds after the initial explosion.

The initial explosion also triggered other blasts at nearby buildings and many people were wounded by broken glass and stones, with some worried they were at the centre of a major earthquake or atomic bomb.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 14:48.

WTF happened there? Just been looking at the pictures on the Telegraph. If there's only 44 dead i'd be astounded.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      WTF happened there? Just been looking at the pictures on the Telegraph. If there's only 44 dead i'd be astounded.
      Something dodgy stored somewhere it shouldnt have been for a guess.

Whatever the first explosion was, it triggered the second and my guess would be that the second one was a flammable gas container of some kind.

It looked very similar to the videos on the net of railcar mounted LPG tanks going bang.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
      X