• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what this legislation is?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what this legislation is?

Just received from my pimp

Subject: Legislation requirements

"Afternoon xxxx,

Apologies for this email but as one of our current contractors, we need to ensure that we have the correct documentation in place for you in order to comply with all relevant legislation.

In order to comply with the spirit of the legislation we would like you to provide proof of identity and address as detailed below:

We require proof of identity, ie a copy of a 10 year passport, full driving licence or birth certificate, a recent utility bill to verify your address.

If however you believe you have already sent these items to us, can you let me know and I can chase internally.

I appreciate the majority of this wont be with you at this moment in time, seeing as you stay down during the week, however if it is at all possible to included it with your Timesheet next week I would be most grateful.

Thanks"

Anyone got any idea what thisis about - I'm contracted out of the agency stuff, so they shouldn't need it for that.

Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Originally posted by hattra
    Just received from my pimp

Subject: Legislation requirements

"Afternoon xxxx,

Apologies for this email but as one of our current contractors, we need to ensure that we have the correct documentation in place for you in order to comply with all relevant legislation.

In order to comply with the spirit of the legislation we would like you to provide proof of identity and address as detailed below:

We require proof of identity, ie a copy of a 10 year passport, full driving licence or birth certificate, a recent utility bill to verify your address.

If however you believe you have already sent these items to us, can you let me know and I can chase internally.

I appreciate the majority of this wont be with you at this moment in time, seeing as you stay down during the week, however if it is at all possible to included it with your Timesheet next week I would be most grateful.

Thanks"

Anyone got any idea what thisis about - I'm contracted out of the agency stuff, so they shouldn't need it for that.

tell them that. That is what I do but the problem here is the DTI (which has not read the website of the Office of Public Sector Information which tells you it is illegal to copy the Passport and anyway it is not valid as a form of identity).

The DTI requires that everyone is identified and are totally confused when you tell them you do not want to give the information

Comment

The “ie” should be “eg” (example not specifically) . The above items are not required legally. The legislation is a recent employment act (2002?) In which employment agencies must obtain proof of identity for all person engaged in work in the UK. This is the same law that has been in the news when agencies and employers report dodgy identities there is nobody in the government departs to follow up the reports. The result is the whole exercise is useless and even causes problems as there are now millions of copies of people identities not being kept secure.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you are opted out it doesn't apply. If you are through a brolly, you may need to supply this stuff to the brolly, but if you are ltd then a letter from a director (which is probably going to be you anyway) is enough. Agencies are so dense sometimes, it should amaze me but somehow it doesn't.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          If you are opted out it doesn't apply. If you are through a brolly, you may need to supply this stuff to the brolly, but if you are ltd then a letter from a director (which is probably going to be you anyway) is enough. Agencies are so dense sometimes, it should amaze me but somehow it doesn't.
          I'ts got nothing to do with opt in or out. It's anybody going via an agency.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The whole point of the opt-out is that agencies wouldn't have to do this stuff. If you are engaged through a legal entity (e.g brolly or limited) you don't have to supply them with proof of ID.
            These regs are designed for employed temps, not B2B engagements.

Go and look them up. http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/agency/newregs.htm
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If it's DTI proof of identity,then you ought to be able to get away with a letter from YourCo saying all your staff are allowed to work here and YourCo will pay the fines if they are not. BAsically they are just closing down the audit trail, since you are already working through them.

It may be Money Laudering regs, of course, where different rules apply and it is possible they will need to see a copy of the last page of your passport (not a full colour one), so it's not worth getting worked up about it.

Find out which they are talking about ( "Dear pimp - sorry but are you referring to...?"). It is a measure of their stupiditity that they haven't made it clear in the first place
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The DTI web page or document you are looking for has not been found

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                  The whole point of the opt-out is that agencies wouldn't have to do this stuff. If you are engaged through a legal entity (e.g brolly or limited) you don't have to supply them with proof of ID.
                  These regs are designed for employed temps, not B2B engagements.

Go and look them up. http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/agency/newregs.htm
                  Hi Mordac,

Your link is dead... But what you say is interesting. I would be very happy to avoid sending copies of my passport to agencies. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Sorry, it's an old link. I'll try and dig out a copy I downloaded and post them somewhere. Basically, if it's Agency regs, and you are employed through a brolly or limited, explain to the agency you don't need to send them this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X