• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I did better under Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did better under Labour

Isn't it true that the best years for contracting were under New Labour?

With Low tax and a buoyant contracting market you couldn't fail to do well. Yes they inroduced IR35 which had been sat in HMRCs arsenal for yrs BUT they didn't try very hard to make it effective.

Tories come in introduce loads more red tape, tax dividends remove expenses and with a very dirty trick push most into IR35. Will anyone here still be voting for them?
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 14 August 2015, 14:09.

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Isn't it ture that the best years for contracting were under New Labour?

With Low tax and a buoyant contracting market you couldn't fail to do well. Yes they inroduced IR35 which had been sat in HMRCs arsenal for yrs BUT they didn't try very hard to make it effective.

Tories come in introduce loads more red tape, tax dividends remove expenses and with a very dirty trick push most into IR35. Will anyone here still be voting for them?
    What do you mean still?

Comment

I don't vote LibLabCon, they are all s

Comment

Technically you may be correct, but the Tories are only fixing what incompetent Labour meant to do.

Don't think any one side is better than the other here. They both want our money, any way they can get it, so they can piss it all over their respective clientèle.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Isn't it ture that the best years for contracting were under New Labour?

Well this is the kind of "I'm all right jack" attitude that got us as a nation so deeply into hock, and now we're paying for it.

You weren't "doing better" and paying less tax because Bliar created a strong and vibrant economy, you were doing better because the tax that should have been collected was being piled onto the national debt and the illusion of property wealth was maintained.

If the UK economy is ever going to grow "organically" again, there has to be an element of the balancing of the books, and like it or lump it, contractors grossing £100-150k are going to have their pockets targetted.

I think 90% of contractors these days do fall "morally" within IR35 anyway if I'm honest, whatever the contract actually says. They go to work every day on the tube like good little commuters, get paid weekly or monthly by the agency, have desks in big offices, go to works drinks and have their phone numbers listed in the corporate directory then pretend they're businessmen and women.

If "all agency contractors" were deemed IR35 then at least there would be clarity to the rules, and the "real" contractors/consultants wouldn't be looking over their shoulders for Hector all the time.

The free market would eventually help sort out day-rates.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I don't vote LibLabCon, they are all s
            Whoever you vote for, the Government always get in...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              Technically you may be correct, but the Tories are only fixing what incompetent Labour meant to do.
              Wot, the Labour were too incompetent to introduce separate dividends tax and scrap, oh those "archaic" dividend tax credits?

New Labour will be looked at as the equivalent of Golden Age of Britain in the 21st century, those queuing for bread in Waitrose will wish those days were back... but they never will!

Comment

I don't see any as the parties as worthy of my vote these days and only vote in local elections as one party does a very good job in our area and I want to do my bit to keep them in.

Labour overspent, encouraged people to enjoy the high life by borrowing money that they couldn't afford to pay back but it's the naughty Tories who have to clean up the mess that they left? We live among a generation of want now, celebrity-obsessed, vacuous morons who think that they have the right to everything without lifting a finger to get it. People just don't want to hear that the government cannot simply keep bankrolling them all and won't take responsibility. /rant
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

We live among a generation of want now, celebrity-obsessed, vacuous morons who think that they have the right to everything without lifting a finger to get it.
                  They like the colour Purple I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    We live among a generation of want now, celebrity-obsessed, vacuous morons who think that they have the right to everything without lifting a finger to get itt
                    I blame the parents.

Comment

Working...
                    X