• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So more of the same then (Tories tax increase pledges)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So more of the same then (Tories tax increase pledges)

Saw on the news this morning the tories have promised to increase taxes and then maybe at some undetermined time, once the economy is stable the possibly might could perhaps reduce taxes

Ah well, more of the same then. After all, its only fair

Mailman

I for one agree with what he is saying. Say he states he will knock 2p off income tax and over the next 3 years the economy drops, he will have painted himself into a corner. He would be fighting an election with a tax cut the economy couldn't take and be blown out of the water by everybody. If he says that the economy could not take the tax cut and was not going to give it, he would be seen to be back tracking and be blown out of the water. It is better to do what NL did. Pledge to stick to the previous lots spending and tax policies for the fisrt couple of years to see what you have taken over. That way they cannot pick faults in your spending and taxation plans because it is based on thier plans.

Then after looking at what kind of dogs breakfast you have taken over, then you can look at tax cuts.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Tony is quite right. And, as Cameron said on Radio 4 this morning, "if I say I'm going to reduce the basic rate of income tax by 1p, you can guarantee Blair will be on this programme ten minutes later saying that the Tories intend to sack all the nurses in the UK and make 250,000 teachers redundant".

Comment

Yes, but those considerations do not prevent him stating a committment to what should be overriding principles of a Tory government, smaller government, lower taxes. Utter waste of space. Vote UKIP.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          Utter waste of space. Vote UKIP.
          Utter waste of space. Vote Veritas!
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            Utter waste of space. Vote Veritas!

Ok, that was a joke but I just looked at their website and in amongst the jingoist dross that wouldnt look out of place on a BNP leaflet I found this....

THE FACTS: There have been 61 tax rises in Britain since Labour came to power. A person on the minimum wage of £4.85 an hour, working a 40-hour-week, pays £736.10 a year tax. Millions, especially pensioners, find it hard to afford Council Tax.

WHAT WILL WE DO?

work towards a 'flat tax' system with a single rate of tax that is only paid by the better off half of the working population

take low-paid workers out of the 'poverty trap' by raising the Income Tax threshold for a single person to £10,504 a year

make personal tax allowances fully transferable to a person's spouse or partner

replace Council Tax with a local sales Tax

completely exempt the value of the family home from Inheritance Tax – and raise the threshold for paying Stamp Duty from £60,000 to £150,000

create new tax allowances to help people build or extend accommodation for elderly relatives
            FFS when Kilroy starts making sense it really is time to leave the country.

Comment

completely exempt the value of the family home from Inheritance Tax – and raise the threshold for paying Stamp Duty from £60,000 to £150,000
              Oh Dear indeed. I think they're ideal to run the economy....

There wasn't a link but I assumed it was from their current website not a pre-March one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                Oh Dear indeed. I think they're ideal to run the economy....

There wasn't a link but I assumed it was from their current website not a pre-March one.
                Link

Didn't notice a date but was more interested in the Flat Rate tax and transferable tax allowances.

Comment

Why is the Audience always so old? Have they just come in from the cold for a warm?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                    Link

Didn't notice a date but was more interested in the Flat Rate tax and transferable tax allowances.

I was just implying that the fact that they got the Stamp duty threshold wrong meant that you couldn't trust the feckers to do anything right.

Comment

Working...
                    X