• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Electrification of the Western Rail Hub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Electrification of the Western Rail Hub

I don't know if anyone is affected by this but the scenes at Westbury at 7 am this morning wouldn't have looked out of place in a French farce. Imagine if you would, a very flustered individual in a PA van that looked like it had been commandeered from a local village fete, failing to shepherd disparate groups of passengers to the appropriate bus stand for their journeys.

This is going to be complete and utter chaos once the holiday season is over.

And why should we be thankful for all this disruption to our morning commutes?

Well, according to FGW, electrification will bring the following benefits:

1)Greater acceleration - reducing journey times
    2)More seats and tables per carriage
    3)40% more seats into London Paddington per day
    4)Enhanced customer communication systems and on board service
    5)Electric and bio-mode operations that reduce harmful emissions
    6)Improved reliability compared with the trains they replace

I'd like to address these points one at a time;

1) Journey time from Bath Spa to London Paddington was 1 hour 15 minutes in 1976 when the new HSTs were introduced. Fastest journey time at present is 1 hour 26 minutes.
    2) Smaller seats and less legroom
    3) As above
    4) You will be charged £10 for 5 hours usage of our on board wi-fi service that is slower than the slowest dial-up connection.
    We will also be getting rid of the buffet cars and if you're lucky you may get the opportunity to purchase refreshments from our trolley service but blink and you'll miss it
    as our staff to like entertain themselves by seeing how fast they can dash from one end of the train to the other.
    5) Well, of course - the obligitory justification to turn on the tap for some nice tax payer funded subsidies.
    6) I may just allow them that one since the new tractions units are manufactured by Hitachi it means that journeys will no longer be hindered by the "train faults" that all too often blight the modern rail experience.
    That said, they'll be utterly lacking in charm and character.

Progress, eh?
    Last edited by Martin Scroatman; 17 August 2015, 09:51.

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post

Progress, eh?
    Could be worse, the NorthernPowerhouse idea got sunk even quicker than dividend taxes were dreamt up.

Northern powercut: has the Tories' rail revamp reached the end of the line? | UK news | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
      I don't know if anyone is affected by this but the scenes at Westbury at 7 am this morning wouldn't have looked out of place in a French farce. Imagine if you would, a very flustered individual in a PA van that looked like it had been commandeered from a local village fete, failing to shepherd disparate groups of passengers to the appropriate bus stand for their journeys.

This is going to be complete and utter chaos once the holiday season is over.

And why should we be thankful for all this disruption to our morning commutes?

Well, according to FGW, electrification will bring the following benefits:

1)Greater acceleration - reducing journey times
      2)More seats and tables per carriage
      3)40% more seats into London Paddington per day
      4)Enhanced customer communication systems and on board service
      5)Electric and bio-mode operations that reduce harmful emissions
      6)Improved reliability compared with the trains they replace

I'd like to address these points one at a time;

1) Journey time from Bath Spa to London Paddington was 1 hour 15 minutes in 1976 when the new HSTs were introduced. Fastest journey time at present is 1 hour 26 minutes.
      2) Smaller seats and less legroom
      3) As above
      4) You will be charged £10 for 5 hours usage of our on board wi-fi service that is slower than the slowest dial-up connection.
      We will also be getting rid of the buffet cars and if you're lucky you may get the opportunity to purchase refreshments from our trolley service but blink and you'll miss it
      as our staff to like entertain themselves by seeing how fast they can dash from one end of the train to the other.
      5) Well, of course - the obligitory justification to turn on the tap for some nice tax payer funded subsidies.
      6) I may just allow them that one since the new tractions units are manufactured by Hitachi it means that journeys will no longer be hindered by the "train faults" that all too often blight the modern rail experience.
      That said, they'll be utterly lacking in charm and character.

Progress, eh?
      You think you have it bad?

Up north we are waiting for you lot to get new trains so we can get your hand me downs to replace 30 year old Pacer Trains!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Can't you afford a car?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I miss Gricer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I miss Gricer.
            I don't and it's not like it's stopped posting anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              The new train servicing facility at Swansea has been gaudily branded with "Hitachi" for a couple of weeks.

No catennary wires yet, mind.
              I've seen the Hitachi trains several times over the last few months - they've been testing them on a disused line that runs alongside and then crosses part of my route into ExClientCorp. They look fairly similar to the HST to me, though I'm no expert on such matters.

Comment

They're electrifying as far as Oxford where it fizzles out.

Shouldn't Brunel have sorted all this in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Shouldn't Brunel have sorted all this in the first place?
                  Too right. Standing around with his hands in his pockets. F'kin disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Hats like that will be banned once overhead electric cables are installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X