• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DashCam Apps - Reccomendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DashCam Apps - Reccomendations?

Since I'm doing a lot of miles atm, and given the prevailing levels of muppetry on the roads, I was thinking about getting a DashCam for the car.

I generally have my phone on a mount on the dashboard anyway to run Google Maps, so the on board camera is in the right place to use it as a DashCam as well.

Anyone doing / done this? Got any remcommendations for Android Apps to use?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I've had it in my mind to get one and never thought of using the phone. A couple are reviewed here.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dash-ca...id-comparison/

It would have to run in the background for maps to work though?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I've had it in my mind to get one and never thought of using the phone. A couple are reviewed here.

3 Dash Cam Apps For Android, Compared: Which One Can Protect You Best?

It would have to run in the background for maps to work though?
      Funnily enough thats the same site I found when I Googled earlier

Some good reviews and worth thinking about. Especially as even the pro versions are cheap. At least one of them runs in the background as far as I could see. Maps will run in the background if you are happy to rely on the Voice Directions.

Comment

Using your phone is ok for occasional use, but the sister article is very good on the reasons you might want a dedicated dash cam:
        There are several reasons. Putting your smartphone on your dash will expose it to sunlight and excess heat, which may degrade battery life and cause reliability issues over time. Smartphones usually don’t have enough storage or last long enough on a charge to record high-resolution video for hours on end. And, if you actually need to use your phone for navigation or a call, your smartphone-dashcam setup may prove inconvenient.

True dashcams are durable, can be hard-wired to your car’s battery, and can record many hours of video, making them the superior choice. If you want to record a half-hour of footage on occasion, a smartphone can work, but a dashcam is the better choice for recording every time you drive.
        How To Choose The Right Dashcam For Your Car
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Using your phone is ok for occasional use, but the sister article is very good on the reasons you might want a dedicated dash cam:

How To Choose The Right Dashcam For Your Car
          I'd disagree with a lot of that to be honest.

Putting it up on the dash, at least on my car, puts in in line with the windscreen vents from the air con, so will actually help keep it cooler.

Most good smartphones have at least 16gb of storage these days, which is enough for around 4 hours video, and if you are just looping 10 or 15 minutes worth then it's irrelevant.

At least one of the Apps NLUK linked will run in the backgroud and record while leaving your phone free for other stuff and Bluetooth means you can still use it as a phone hands free anyway.

Comment

I recently bought a dedicated DashCam, and had a guy out to fit it (crap with that sort of stuff myself, and I wanted it neatly installed et al.)
            I went for a Mini 0806, per many reviews and 'ternet recommendations - e.g. TechMoan.

Really pleased with the results; very good image quality, small and well featured unit. Stuck a 64GB card in, and downloaded Registrator Viewer, which plays back footage whilst overlaying GPS position on map and tons more
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Gopro Hero 4 is supposed to be great!

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but why are you lot installing a dash cams ? Insurance savings ? General security?

Comment

I should think one prang from a moron would pay for it.

No evidence = your word against his = your insurance can't be arsed = knock for knock.
                  Evidence = his side pays, you don't need to claim. He may even go to court.

This latter is why I am thinking about a helmet cam for biking. I want to nail some of those bastards who think my life is a risk worth taking.

Comment

I see. If you are involved in an accident, the camera might incriminate you too. I wonder if the police can demand it as evidence? And does it record speed, location etc?

Apparently they can catch stuff when parked up too
                    Video: Man with pram deliberately keys £100k Aston Martin - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X