• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barn Conversions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Conversions

I'm about to put an offer in on a barn conversion. I've done as much research as I can think of, and am happy with the compromises I think I'd need to make.

Anyone here got experience of barn conversions, and got any thoughts on things I ought to consider/ask?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'm about to put an offer in on a barn conversion. I've done as much research as I can think of, and am happy with the compromises I think I'd need to make.

Anyone here got experience of barn conversions, and got any thoughts on things I ought to consider/ask?
    Make sure that the cows and straw are included in the cost of the sale
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

Get used to sleeping on hay stacks

Comment

High heating costs?

Most barn conversions tend to be one huge space with high ceilings & big windows.

I don't like big spaces. I always feel there's somebody looking over my shoulder.

Comment

Who did the conversion - was it a builder or DIY conversion?

When did they do the conversion, and what regulations were in place at the time?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If I was looking into a Barn conversion, the absolutely very first thing I would do is seek advice from a bunch of attention seeking IT nerds. Pretty standard really and a shrewd move MP.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Things to consider:

Any shared services (water, electric supply, gas), shared driveway or parking?
              Rights of way, listed status, covenants?
              Heating costs/energy efficiency rating?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Things to consider:

Any shared services (water, electric supply, gas), shared driveway or parking?
                Rights of way, listed status, covenants?
                Heating costs/energy efficiency rating?
                Definitely check when the radiators were last bled.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Definitely check when the radiators were last bled.
                  Get a job you bum.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Get a job you bum.

Sir yes sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X