• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wow never realised these times were so good!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How UK incomes have risen (and fallen) since 1948 - Telegraph

What confuses me, is how folk with less disposable income could afford such big houses in the past when times were so tough?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

What confuses me, is how folk with less disposable income could afford such big houses in the past when times were so tough?
    being an average people like Ambromavich tend to muck up the figure.

Personal and household finances in the UK | Visual.ONS

look at the graph that shows different types of households

"Real equivalised household disposable income"

and

Breakdown of average total household expenditure
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I guess if the number of people working in a household has increased that might also skew the figures?

Comment

I guess if the number of people working in a household has increased that might also skew the figures?
        not as much as you would think.

From the Equalised Graph it seems the growth looks fairly linear despite 2 parents or even 2 generations working which suggests that wages are lower in real terms.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Equivalised is now my word of the day.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Because we consider many things "essential" now which were previously luxuries.

Taking kids away at half term/Easter & summer for foreign holidays? 30 years ago it was rare, now it's almost compulsory
            Multi-car households? Rare 50 years ago, maybe some households would have 2 cars, but there weren't households where everyone over 17 had a car.
            Mobile phone/broadband/subscription TV
            Then there's the tablets, computers, gadgets, and we tend to replace rather than repair.
            Consumerism is just that - consuming things.
            ...but if we don't have the latest and greatest, then we can't boast about it on Facebook and our lives are over.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Because we consider many things "essential" now which were previously luxuries.

Taking kids away at half term/Easter & summer for foreign holidays? 30 years ago it was rare, now it's almost compulsory
              Multi-car households? Rare 50 years ago, maybe some households would have 2 cars, but there weren't households where everyone over 17 had a car.
              Mobile phone/broadband/subscription TV
              Then there's the tablets, computers, gadgets, and we tend to replace rather than repair.
              Consumerism is just that - consuming things.
              ...but if we don't have the latest and greatest, then we can't boast about it on Facebook and our lives are over.
              But everything you list has gone down in price.

So why is housing so expensive?

Comment

But everything you list has gone down in price.

So why is housing so expensive?

Comment

And maybe a little bit of this.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I'm guessing ..

1. There weren't so many people about, especially in the years soon after WW1 and WW2

2. Mortgages were tougher to obtain, for anyone but self-evidently regular savers over several years, with good prospects, and many didn't have the means or the self-discipline to save like that.

2. Massive housebuilding projects after the WWs meant there wasn't such a shortage, and many people preferred newer smaller houses as the older ones, with Victorian wiring and leaky windows etc, tended to be money pits

3. Incredible as it sounds to us today, until about the '60s big houses and/or houses with large gardens and even oodles of acres of land were generally seen as a burden
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X