• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm from Microsoft, there's something wrong with your computer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm from Microsoft, there's something wrong with your computer

It seems my mother gave control of her computer to a gentleman that she couldn't understand very well who seemed to know all about her computer.

I haven't got much more out of her than he gave her a number to type in (to what? Remote assist?)

So I need to go round and sort out the mess. Any hints what I should be looking for? Obv will run full virus scan.

The original disks for the re-install..

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      The original disks for the re-install..

HTH

Comment

And a backup drive, along with instructions on how to use it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          It seems my mother gave control of her computer to a gentleman that she couldn't understand very well who seemed to know all about her computer.

I haven't got much more out of her than he gave her a number to type in (to what? Remote assist?)

So I need to go round and sort out the mess. Any hints what I should be looking for? Obv will run full virus scan.
          To be fair I would go for a full rebuild, odds are it was a scam where they say something is wrong with your computer and offer to fix for a fee, check her credit card/bank statement etc
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Some advice from Action fraud: Watch out for

Essentially, check with the bank for any damage done ASAP.
            Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 18 August 2015, 17:10.

Comment

Muchos sympathy. My mother managed to contract one of those ransom viruses that encrypts all the files. Wipe clean and total rebuild in the end

Sounds like your mum was conned into using something like Team Viewer - not sure how it would work without her downloading a piece of software (or maybe the scamsters managed to install it if they had control for a while), that requires a number to be entered, but once you have entered it you can use a password to gain control from any PC; this is the product I use to support the old girl now. Very useful, but can't overcome ignorance (I nearly wrote stupidity, but despite being nearly 92 my old mum is far from stupid, as I'm sure is yours, but they seem ignorant of the dangers)
              Last edited by Bacchus; 18 August 2015, 17:37. Reason: Meant ransom, Ransome was an author...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

tbh the bloody PC is the least of her problems - they probably cut an image of her disks to scan through at their leisure. (If I were a thieving scrote it's what I would do)

So you'll only have to change all her passwords for everything she has ever logged into.
                Close all her bank accounts, credit cards, debit cards etc etc before the scrotes rob her blind.

Comment

This isn't cheering me up

Comment

On the plus side, she doesn't use online banking.

Comment

Working...
                    X