• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tom Tom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Tom

Apart from having the most useless software that thinks its OK to drop out towards the end of a massive download and then start again from scratch... Their website has been "The site is currently undergoing maintenance" all night and now just when I need it. They really really need to figure out a simpler way of distributing their updates.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Apart from having the most useless software that thinks its OK to drop out towards the end of a massive download and then start again from scratch... Their website has been "The site is currently undergoing maintenance" all night and now just when I need it. They really really need to figure out a simpler way of distributing their updates.

Just use mobile apps (Google maps or Waze). Free and better.

Comment

I have bought the Tom Tom app for my iPhone (also works on my iPad for a huge map) off line maps (essential for when I am in Spain) and updates through usual iTunes updates.

Best £45 I ever spent especially as it backs up to iCloud so favorites are always safe
      Last edited by SimonMac; 19 August 2015, 07:53.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

With my super fast fibre optic broadband it downloads a completely new Europe wide map in about 5 seconds. Which was nice.

Never had any probs with Tom Tom updates for the last 3 years. Get a decent connection mate.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Doesn't matter how fast your connection is if the site is completely down plonker.

The main site is back up now, but any attempt to download is met with error messages...

Me thinks they are having problems

Probably outsourced to India

Comment

Doesn't matter how fast your connection is if the site is completely down plonker.

The main site is back up now, but any attempt to download is met with error messages...

Me thinks they are having problems

Probably outsourced to India
            Well I update mine regularly, never had a problem and I've owned a Tom Tom for donkeys, so maybe you're just "special"?

Comment

Yea I'm special I have a clue whats going on.

Comment

You have my sympathies. Windows does the same. Eg. when you upgrade or download a large patch.

These manufacturers need to offer something like bittorrent in addition to straightforward downloads. Or they could get clever and just download the map modifications and merge (eg like linux does), rather than dumbly making you download the entire database en block, 98% of which you have already.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  You have my sympathies. Windows does the same. Eg. when you upgrade or download a large patch.

These manufacturers need to offer something like bittorrent in addition to straightforward downloads. Or they could get clever and just download the map modifications and merge (eg like linux does), rather than dumbly making you download the entire database en block, 98% of which you have already.
                  Or just send you a USB for Pete's sake. An 8GB stick would cost them about £1, and you could even post it back if they sent you an envelope.

Comment

Working...
                  X