• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had this possible car insurance scam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had this possible car insurance scam?

A couple of months ago, Mrs.RL4 receives a letter from her car insurers saying someone is alleging they saw her reverse into their car, damage it with the tow bar (there is no tow bar) and drive off. This was a couple of months after the alleged incident, there's no damage to her car. Car was definitely not in the specific area mentioned, but could have been in the general area.

Told insurance this, and forgot about it for a couple of months until recently got another letter from her insurers asking "Did you work at xyz on [incident.date()]" "What were your shift patterns" "description of yourself".

I can only think it's a possible organised scam in that some tuliphead stands and takes reg. numbers they see of car(s) in an area, then tries to claim it was involved in a bump, hoping the other party just goes "Well it could have been I guess.."

Anyone had something similar? I'm of the mind to write to the insurance company along the lines of. "I may have been in that area. I most certainly wasn't involved in a bump. My car doesn't have a tow bar. My car has no visible damage. Please provide CCTV evidence from four months ago showing the incident. I've said all I need to say on the matter, please refrain from sending any further queries in relation to the matter as it's causing undue stress and hassle."
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    A couple of months ago, Mrs.RL4 receives a letter from her car insurers saying someone is alleging they saw her reverse into their car, damage it with the tow bar (there is no tow bar) and drive off. This was a couple of months after the alleged incident, there's no damage to her car. Car was definitely not in the specific area mentioned, but could have been in the general area.

Told insurance this, and forgot about it for a couple of months until recently got another letter from her insurers asking "Did you work at xyz on [incident.date()]" "What were your shift patterns" "description of yourself".

I can only think it's a possible organised scam in that some tuliphead stands and takes reg. numbers they see of car(s) in an area, then tries to claim it was involved in a bump, hoping the other party just goes "Well it could have been I guess.."

Anyone had something similar? I'm of the mind to write to the insurance company along the lines of. "I may have been in that area. I most certainly wasn't involved in a bump. My car doesn't have a tow bar. My car has no visible damage. Please provide CCTV evidence from four months ago showing the incident. I've said all I need to say on the matter, please refrain from sending any further queries in relation to the matter as it's causing undue stress and hassle."
    Problem is that these days there is little interest from insurance companies to fight claims, its cheaper for them to roll over and pay out any nominal damages
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Back in the days when I was permie with a company car. Some guy drove into the door in my car while I was stationary. We got out he admitted liability, we swapped details. I wasn't that bothered as it was after all a company car, apart from the hassle of getting it to the bodyshop etc.

A few months later I got a call from the other drivers insurance stating that they were starting action against me as I had injured the passenger in the other car. I checked that I was speaking to a rep from one of the major insurers, I think I rang him back, and then I told him in no uncertain terms that there was nobody in the other car but the driver and that he had caused it and admitted liability. I told him to ring the injured party (the supposed passenger) and get them to describe me (as I am pretty distinctive and anyone who was there would be able to mention I had purple hair and was wearing a batman costume (I wasn't but I was equally distinctive)). Anyways insurance company bloke rang me back and admitted his passenger had no clue what I looked like and he accepted to me that his clients were lying. End of problem. So it is possible to talk sense to the big insurance companies.

Comment

And Re "as it's causing undue stress and hassle" no its harassment which is a criminal and civil matter for which you can have them arrested if you can prove your side of the story. Harassment is magic word which causes flutters in the ears of any lawyers involved as they know it gets expensive very quickly if they are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

I wouldn't even bother including that in case it gives them some tiny straw to grab onto.

I'd be telling my insurance company in no uncertain terms not to settle in any way or they will lose my business. Also, state if you had done a runner, I would have expected they report it to the police.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            I wouldn't even bother including that in case it gives them some tiny straw to grab onto.

I'd be telling my insurance company in no uncertain terms not to settle in any way or they will lose my business. Also, state if you had done a runner, I would have expected they report it to the police.
            state that its obviously fraud and they should involve the Police. Nothing to do with you.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Going back to the dashcam thread, you can get ones that start recording if the car is moved/rocked in any way while it's stationary.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Going back to the dashcam thread, you can get ones that start recording if the car is moved/rocked in any way while it's stationary.
                In case a man with a pushchair scratches your Audi?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Saturday night dogging recorded?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

After a similar saga on a Passat cc I used to own a couple of years ago, I have converted my current RR into a mobile CCTV unit

I drive in and out of Bradford/Leeds regularly and I had one incident involving a twat who tried to false claim against me. I provided my CCTV evidence to the insurance company and the fecker was reported to the police promptly

Yes, there are loads of CCTV units that can be fitted to your car that keep recording 24x7 or as and when there is some motion. I got mine professionally fitted and the darn cameras run off their own battery in the boot (charges off the cigarette socket).

Comment

Working...
                    X