• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travelling companion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling companion

Commuting to London along with another member of project team. We live near each other, I see him on the train a few times a month.

We both started on the project around the same time, coming up for six months ago.

Him: employee of "Blue Chip" consulting co
    Me: one-man band, direct with ClientCo

His train fare (and bacon sandwich) is a valid business expense and mine isn't.

Not sure why all of you find this so hard to understand.
    Last edited by Ebenezer; 20 August 2015, 07:54.

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post

His train fare can go on expenses and mine can't, right?
    You are taking the pish here this morning, right?

What's your working arrangement? Ltd company? Umbrella?

Comment

Commuting to London along with another member of project team. We live near each other, I see him on the train a few times a month.

We both started on the project around the same time, coming up for six months ago.

Him: employee of "Blue Chip" consulting co
      Me: one-man band, direct with ClientCo

His train fare can go on expenses and mine can't, right?
      To an extent it would depend on where his base is but yes, he will probably be claiming expenses.

At the moment so can you. Its only once the T&S expense rules come in (next April), assuming they remain as they currently, that you won't be able to claim...

If you haven't already could you fill in the surveys at http://goo.gl/forms/O2O4WhscV4 (mine) and https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AUCAEConDoc (Lisa's)...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        You are taking the pish here this morning, right?

What's your working arrangement? Ltd company? Umbrella?
        Why. If your regular place of work is not London, your train fare is an expense and probably a blooming big one.

I know people who commute from Peterborough to London once or twice a week. The any train peak rate fare is eye-watering..

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          To an extent it would depend on where his base is but yes, he will probably be claiming expenses.

At the moment so can you. Its only once the T&S expense rules come in (next April), assuming they remain as they currently, that you won't be able to claim...

If you haven't already could you fill in the surveys at http://goo.gl/forms/O2O4WhscV4 (mine) and https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AUCAEConDoc (Lisa's)...

Have already filled in your survey; the thing that annoys me most about all this is the competitive advantage it hands to the big consultancies.

(and yes, he is home-based for expenses...)

Comment

Have already filled in your survey; the thing that annoys me most about all this is the competitive advantage it hands to the big consultancies.

(and yes, he is home-based for expenses...)
            The words you are looking for if you are writing a response to the consultation is unlikely to pass a "Judicial Review".

Comment

Working...
            X