• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie Job advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie Job advice

Went for a permie job last week and got the offer today. The agent rang me about an hour ago saying that they were so keen to get me onboard that they want to start me on a short term contract "while the paperwork is sorted out".

What would you read into this. My recent personality test suggested I'm 99% suspicious so I'll ask my good buddies on here instead

This is a board for 'Contractors' the clue is in the title....permies are the forces of darkness - begone!!
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Don't be a c**t , this is my life we're talking about you sausage jockey.

Comment

I'd sit there, think about it, twiddle the digits, think about it some more and then.......... do nothing.

There.

And since the question is demonstrating dynamism and fire, so too is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
          Don't be a c**t , this is my life we're talking about you sausage jockey.
          Profanity and a permie....
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
            What would you read into this.
            That HR are so grotesquely inefficient they can't organise the sign-off for a permie headcount, but they can get authorisation for a contractor, because there's less paperwork involved. Usual story then. Try ringing the HR department and see if their story tallies with the agency's story. If it doesn't, then you have a problem.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Cheers Mordac.

DGK

ps: Got anymore paper qualifications recently? or are you too busy working out how to cluster Windows boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
                Cheers Mordac.

DGK

ps: Got anymore paper qualifications recently? or are you too busy working out how to cluster Windows boxes?
                Are you the little fucker who broke his neck by any chance?

Edit - and just for the record, I've never had a problem clustering Windows boxes, I believe you were the one who was struggling.
                Last edited by Mordac; 3 October 2006, 18:27.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

So they want to 'start' you on Contract terms and, presumably, Permy rates. This will drag on for a year after which you'll dumped and they'll have had a half price Contractor for 12 months. If they were serious they'd have had all this properly lined up.

Tell 'em to get serious or get lost. Alternatively, give them your 'short term' rate.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Thanks Alf. Only joking Mordy me old buddy. Take it easy son.

Comment

Working...
                    X