• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employeer disallows pop email accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employeer disallows pop email accounts

my employeer (gov related) has blocked all pop/ internet mails

I wanted to know if there is a way round this,
    something like pushing my emails from pop account into non pop accounts so I can see them

cheers

css_jay99

Do some work!!!!

I actually got fired from a contract earlier in the year, with the client siting that I had been surfing the internet, whereas I was actually trying to get my personal email. W@nkers.

Can you not link directly to Outlook?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I access my POP3 accounts via webmail. the company here also blocks out access to 'mail website' (e.g. Hotmail, Gmail, etc) but for some reason, access to my webmail works. I use SwitchMedia to host my website and POP3 account....
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I'm tired of these blocks clients put on their networks...

I've got 3 suggestions:
        - If you've got a computer at home then try something like Hamachi to setup a VPN between your work machine and your computer at home. Most of the time this will work.

- If you haven't got a computer at home, rent a cheap *nix server/VPS from a hosting co. Setup SSH to work on a port that your client doesn't block (port 80 if you have to..) and install a secure proxy on your rented box.

- I've never tried this but I've heard HTTPort (http://www.htthost.com/) also helps circumvents certain network restrictions - see the FAQ.

I've almost always managed to punch-out of a clients network. In many cases I've HAD to find a way - once I could not download an essential utility from sourceforge because all zip downloads were blocked by the numpty IT team

Comment

Maybe the blocks are in for a reason!!

Comment

Perhaps they're reading this board as we post. Counting the time you have been surfing as opposed to working.

You're going to get
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
              my employeer (gov related) has blocked all pop/ internet mails

I wanted to know if there is a way round this
              Yes. Make the point to your employer that you want to read private emails at work. Come to an agreement with them about whether you will do so or not.

Or just stop trying to do at work what the employer doesn't want you to do.

Comment

are they blocking IMAP as well? You couls always get an IMAP account. Also has its uses as all e-mail is stored on the server meaning you can access everything from anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ice53ltd
                  I'm tired of these blocks clients put on their networks...
                  Damn the clients and their security policies. And those access control swipe cards, they're a pain too. What are they thinking of. And while we're at it, get rid of the firewalls and anti-virus. Why can't I send a virus if I want? And those passwords too, they're a bit of a bugger...

For fucks sake!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If it's a halfway decent mail service you are using then just set it up to forward all your mail to your current mail address at the client. Once you finish the gig turn off the forwarding.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X