• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Death of buy-to-let: landlords wake up to Osborne's 150pc tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of buy-to-let: landlords wake up to Osborne's 150pc tax

" Hundreds of thousands of landlords and their accountants are digesting the impact of George Osborne’s shock tax change unveiled in the summer Budget on July 8.

The tax increase, on which there was no consultation, will be phased in from 2017 and fully implemented by 2020.

The change was unexpected, and the new regime is highly complex, so investors and their tax advisers are only now fully grasping its effects. Many investors remain unaware of the change, or underestimate its severity.

All higher-rate taxpayers who own buy‑to‑let properties on which there is a large mortgage will pay substantially more tax. Some current basic-rate taxpayers will also be hit, because the change will push them into the higher-rate tax bracket.

Those who are worst affected will see:

● the actual tax they pay on their investment rising twofold or more;

● the tax rate payable rising above 100pc, meaning that more than all of their profit is paid in tax;

● a degree of tax that pushes them into loss, making their investment financially unviable and forcing them to increase rents sharply – or sell.

Scroll down for a worked explanation of the changes.

What is also becoming clear is that worst hit will be those modest, middle-class savers who have prudently chosen to invest in buy‑to‑let, often alongside pensions and Isas, as a means to supplement their income. "

Source: Death of buy-to-let: landlords wake up to Osborne's 150pc tax - Telegraph

This would have NEVER happened under Labour.

Bye bye MF

Nah, MF probably bought his BTLs with his petty cash....
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Nah, MF probably bought his BTLs with his petty cash....
      They're in the wife's name and is her only source of income. Tax Impact is minimal.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Fantastic [emoji133][emoji133][emoji133]
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

The least obvious bit is the time bomb impact. Its a multiplier of costs as interest rates go up although were interest rates to fall the opposite would be true...

The annoying bit is that people will only notice the real impact 12 months later when they fill in their tax return but once they do that for the first time in 2018 or 2019 there are going to be a lot of people trying to get out..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            The least obvious bit is the time bomb impact. Its a multiplier of costs as interest rates go up although were interest rates to fall the opposite would be true...

The annoying bit is that people will only notice the real impact 12 months later when they fill in their tax return but once they do that for the first time in 2018 or 2019 there are going to be a lot of people trying to get out..
            Great! That means that there'll be some good bargains out there...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Great! That means that there'll be some good bargains out there...
              Possibly, possibly not. If prices fall too far those affected won't be able to sell. It does remove one large prop for house prices (no point over bidding on the BTL and spending most of the income on interest) though and I would love to know whether its intentional or not....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Vote Osbourne!! Thats a brilliant move by the chancellor! Labour would never have done this, in fact, Labour would have introduced some tax breaks.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I've yet to see or do a calculator on it. Anyone got or seen one?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yet again a CINO Government pulls another rung from the ladder of the rest of us trying to better ourselves whilst their rich mates with no mortgages on their BTL portfolios keep drinking champagne.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X