• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone been caught surfing the net at work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone been caught surfing the net at work?

Here at my workplace, we have a system where, everytime you use Internet Explorer, you must enter your unique user id and password to access the net.

This is so that they can monitor internet usage on a per user basis. Obviously, being a contractor, I enjoy my time on the net and so am concerned about this!

Has anyone experienced any problems with their clients due to internet usage being monitored?

Is there a way around this?

Do they monitor where you go or just the time you are on? If they don't log sites, how can the differentiate between surfing and listening to music via an online radio station?

I made it into the top ten web users at one place - huge multinational and that was my argument as I tended to work with my earphones on, listening to yahoo radio.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've pretty much read the internet on every contract I've ever had.

Never been a problem.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        Do they monitor where you go or just the time you are on? If they don't log sites, how can the differentiate between surfing and listening to music via an online radio station?

I made it into the top ten web users at one place - huge multinational and that was my argument as I tended to work with my earphones on, listening to yahoo radio.
        I would think that they monitor sites visited and traffic coming in/out. I like to use real-time stock market sites that update every second, so every though I am on the same webpage, the traffic flow inwards is constantly occurring.

Using the net radio wouldn't get me far here!

Comment

It has been mentioned to me before. A company monitored all websites/urls entered.

So we just used to enter

xxxCompanySucks.com
          TheBoysInSupportAreQueer.Com

Three of us got pulled in and told to stop dicking about.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Do you think it's possible to get sacked for using the internet too much?

Comment

Yep. It was used against me earlier in the year. It was complete bollocks, but they can use it.

AtW w@nks 3-4 times a day. Is this too much for an ugly lonely man?

Define : Too much though!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The last longish-term contract I had was for a software company with chinese inspired web restrictions. Even so, I was pulled to one side to be warned about internet usage after one of the directors saw me using google. I wasn't exactly impressed, I was already looking for another contract so I could bail on them but sods law, nothing turned up till 1 week before the contract was to end (then I got 2 offers )

Chances are, if a company is a pain in the arse regarding web usage then they'll be a pain in the arse regarding everything else as well.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

You should be reading the acceptable user guidelines that the company should have for use of their systems. If they don't, then a word in the ear of the security manager or IT manager should give you an understanding of the company approach to it.

Of course, you may have a line manager who has their own opinion so I would suggest an informal word with them. If it turns out that they don't want you surfing then either a) don't surf on company time or b) get a new gig.

The choice, as they say, is yours...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Install FireFox. Where I am currently the transparent proxy doesn't work properly with it so the censoring thing they use doesn't work. If you don't have admin privileges there is a version that will run directly out of your home directory.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X