• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quesrterly VAT payment - Paid in time - but letter requesting payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quesrterly VAT payment - Paid in time - but letter requesting payment

Hi All,

I started a LTD last September on the flat rate scheme. I've paid the first 2 quarters and paid the 3rd at the end of July but had a letter at the weekend asking for me to submit payment.

I've spoken to my bank who have confirmed the money left my account for the sort code\account number of the other 2 payments which is the same as the one on the HMRC letter.

I've got my accountants looking into it as well but is there a direct number for me to speak with someone at HMRC - the letter just says if I dispute this to send them a letter.

Thanks

It will probably also say 'If you have already submitted your VAT return and paid any VAT due, or you do so immediately, you don't need to call us or pay this assessment and you can ignore this notice.'

You can always call the VAT section of your local tax office, they will usually sort things out/set your mind at rest.

Other than that just write to the address on the back of the form and explain that you've already paid (including the confirmation emails you've received proving that you have indeed paid).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks. Reassures me a little but with it all being new just a bit of a panic.

I'm hoping its just a generic letter sent out in error but don't want to leave it just in case there is an issue.

I'll try and find a number for local tax office and give them a call once I've spoken to accountant - who is also family (but away on holiday till tomorrow).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post

I'm hoping its just a generic letter sent out in error but don't want to leave it just in case there is an issue.

I'll try and find a number for local tax office and give them a call once I've spoken to accountant - who is also family (but away on holiday till tomorrow).

Cheers
        You do have proof that you've paid your VAT, don't you?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Cheers
          How's he paying for his holiday?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Cheers
            Completely off topic but couldn't help to comment. Be very careful with this, mixing your family up with your business isn't always a good idea. I'm sure in many cases it might work and everyone is happy but am sure there are plenty of cases where people are getting a much worse service just because it's family. You would think you can trust family to look after you better but in many cases they'll give you a second best service because of the relationship as you won't mind waiting where clients won't. You also have to be prepared to sack your accountant if things aren't going well which is going to be difficult for a family outfit.

Being family doesn't always mean they are the best out there for you either. Darren Upton has family and he is an accountant.....

If you are clued up, understand contracting and are happy with the risks then fill your boots, if you are not and they are the first person you thought off you might just want to keep your eye on that situation.

For the record I have an accountant in my family who I declined to use because of the family connection. She was at a party at Christmas advising someone else who contracts to withdraw all their money from the business account and stick it in an offset until the time came it's needed back in the business account and just transfer it back. they'll never find out....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Which is why I'm pushing the proof of payment thing.

Sorry OP, but we're contractors and we don't trust anyone, particularly family....

Comment

Why not just logon the HMRC site and check that the payment went into the correct account?

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Why not just logon the HMRC site and check that the payment went into the correct account?

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/
                  They can't they pay it to their accountant who pays it for them, same as CT
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    They can't they pay it to their accountant who pays it for them, same as CT
                    Ahhhhhh, didn't know you give over access to this if you use an accountant, the control freak in me would never allow that!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X