• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Through France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Through France

Hi All - am going to be driving from Calais to Cognac region at the weekend and will be going through Le Mans. Other than LeM, are there any recommendable locations to stop off on route or on the way back ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Hi All - am going to be driving from Calais to Cognac region at the weekend and will be going through Le Mans. Other than LeM, are there any recommendable locations to stop off on route or on the way back ?
    Stop at a Supermarket Self service petrol station in Calais, fill your tank to the last drop before you return and save a fortune

Comment

That part of France is incredibly flat and featureless, so you're better off just putting your foot down and not looking out of the windows.

en route.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Stop at a Supermarket Self service petrol station in Calais, fill your tank to the last drop before you return and save about 4p per litre
        FTFY

carrefour-calais Fuel
        1.40e per litre.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

When you get back to Calais, you may find some friendly, foreign looking, gentlemen asking for a lift to England. Be helpful and squeeze as many of them in to your car as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            FTFY

carrefour-calais Fuel
            1.40e per litre.
            That's exactly the one where I usually fill up before going through the tunnel

Gazole (Diesel) 1.099€ =0.799089 GBP (My local Tesco is £1.099 at the moment )

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              That part of France is incredibly flat and featureless, so you're better off just putting your foot down and not looking out of the windows.

en route.
              WVMS.

I've stayed many times at Le Mans when I used to go to the 24 hour bike races and there isn't much there that would cause me to return.

Keep going until you get to Tours, which has a lovely Old Quarter when you cross the bridge.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Go for a lunch or dinner at the highly recomended Hotel de Ville Le Mans
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  FTFY

carrefour-calais Fuel
                  1.40e per litre.

The official fuel prices in France:
                  Prix des carburants en France, site gouvernemental

Auchan Grand-Synthe - €1.07 for diesel, it's also where I'd buy wine. Far enough from Calais that the prices aren't hiked for Brits.

Between Le Mans and Cognac: Saumur is a very nice town, great white wines around there. Apart from that, not much worth going off the main road for.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    That's exactly the one where I usually fill up before going through the tunnel

Gazole (Diesel) 1.099€ =0.799089 GBP (My local Tesco is £1.099 at the moment )
                    Can you get to that one on the way back to the UK? I thought it's only on your way out of the tunnel into France.

I'll be going that way in about a month. I'm dreading what Calais might be like on the way back.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X