• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Automation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Automation

Anyone on board with the home automation craze? Was bored in Maplins the other day and got looking at the Belkin Wemo range, then I found out they do a coffee machine too Mr. Coffee® Smart Optimal Brew™ 10-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker

Gimmicky or actually useful (I mean the whole system not just the coffee machine)
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Mostly gimmicky but I'm sure a few things would be useful to each household. I for instance would love to be able to run a bath at a well-controlled temperature which doesn't end up overflowing when I go to check my emails and get distracted

A simple timer on my coffee machine is really nice, but I suppose the freedom of saying "make me coffee" as you get out of bed would be nice since a)I often forget to set it b)I don't tend to have a very regular routine in the morning.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I am personally against the principle of home automation beyond an extent. Makes me lazy and fat

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Anyone on board with the home automation craze? Was bored in Maplins the other day and got looking at the Belkin Wemo range, then I found out they do a coffee machine too Mr. Coffee® Smart Optimal Brew™ 10-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker

Gimmicky or actually useful (I mean the whole system not just the coffee machine)
        Mate of mine has gone the whole hog on it in his house as part of a bare bricks refurb.

What he has found out is that the promise rarely matches the delivery, teething problems are endless and total failures a real possibility. At one point he had no lights for 4 hours (at night) due to the control system throwing a wappy fit and refusing to reset itself or respond to commands from the local GUI. In the end it took another mate who knows the software systems to connect in from his phone (we were in the pub at the time) and fix it remotely.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I've automated my entire house and I can answer all kinds of questions on it.

I have door sensors, temperature sensors, automated lightswitches, automated ceiling fan, IR transmitter for various purposes, and some automated plug sockets for lamps and stuff.

Wireless thermostat is being fitted sometime soon as I just got a new boiler, so I will bash up a program to let me program that.

Only two items outstanding are wireless radiator valves and video cameras but I am not really sure I need either of those.

I use an RFXCom 433Mhz tranceiver and an IRDroid, Domoticz, EventGhost and Lirc talking to each other to control it, and Dromotica on my phone. If you use Tasker you can hook the lights etc. up to voice control and geofencing.
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

You still have to fill it with water and coffee by hand don't you. Neither can be done remotely and make up most of the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post

Only two items outstanding are wireless radiator valves and video cameras but I am not really sure I need either of those.
              Both will help when you have guests. Turn the temperature up and as you see them strip

Comment

Spycam in the bathroom is cheaper, cos I can live stream (pun intended) it for bonus income.
                Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Mostly gimmicky but I'm sure a few things would be useful to each household. I for instance would love to be able to run a bath at a well-controlled temperature which doesn't end up overflowing when I go to check my emails and get distracted

A simple timer on my coffee machine is really nice, but I suppose the freedom of saying "make me coffee" as you get out of bed would be nice since a)I often forget to set it b)I don't tend to have a very regular routine in the morning.
                  I have a bean to cup machine in the kitchen. Making coffee consists of putting the mug under the spout and pressing a button. Even I can manage that at stupid o'clock on a Monday morning.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                    Spycam in the bathroom is cheaper, cos I can live stream (pun intended) it for bonus income.
                    Provided it is just a bathroom and not a suite. Who wants to see someone take a dump ?

Comment

Working...
                    X