• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More pension contributions to use previous years allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More pension contributions to use previous years allowance

One for the accountants, and thanks in advance. (NLUK - I am also emailing my accountant )

For the past 2 years (13/14 and 14/15) I have maxed my pension contributions 50k and 40k, inc monthly contributions. For many years I have been contributing 18k on a 1.5k per month basis.

Can I make another contribution for 12/13 of 32k to bring the 12/13 contribution to the then allowance of 50k or only 22k to current allowance of 40k?

All payments direct from MyCo account.

Is 12/13 as far back as I am permitted to go?
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 26 August 2015, 08:50.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Carry forward rules: RPSM06108010 - Technical pages: annual allowance: from 6 April 2011: calculating the tax charge: carrying forward unused annual allowance from earlier years

You can carry forward the unused portion of the allowance in effect at the time you did not use the entire allowance. That means you can use £50K to calculate your allowed carryforward for the year in question.

If the individual was a member of a registered pension scheme but, in one particular tax year, did not have a pension input amount for that year then they can carry forward the full amount of the annual allowance from that year. In practice this means £50,000 if the previous tax year in question included any of 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 and a deemed annual allowance of £50,000 if the previous year included any of 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11.
    If you've been paying £18K for "many years" be sure you pay attention to the lifetime limit.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Carry forward rules: RPSM06108010 - Technical pages: annual allowance: from 6 April 2011: calculating the tax charge: carrying forward unused annual allowance from earlier years

You can carry forward the unused portion of the allowance in effect at the time you did not use the entire allowance. That means you can use £50K to calculate your allowed carryforward for the year in question.

If you've been paying £18K for "many years" be sure you pay attention to the lifetime limit.
      Cheers, Not that "many years",
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Should have said, IANAA, so make sure you get your accountant's go-ahead, but the rules seem pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
        X