• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permission to represent - subsequent restrictions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission to represent - subsequent restrictions

I've seen a few conversations regarding restrictions by agencies.
    My latest version on this is having been submitted for quite an attractive contract the company has come back and said that I had my cv submitted to them, within the last 12 months, by another agency so they cannot consider my cv from the new agency due to the agreement they have with the first agency. I've always been very specific when returning these right to represent statements to include 'for this role at Company X' but it seems that isn't enough.
    I've had no indication from the initial agency that they are submitting cvs for the new role.
    Yet another thing to be wary of when agreeing for details to be submitted.
    Has anyone had similar issues?

Yep I've had the same. Submitted for a role by agent A but role got pulled just before interview. Submitted for a new role a couple of months later to Agent B. Agent B advised they couldn't submit me as Agent A has dibs on me as per agreement between the agents and the clients. This covered applications at anytime, not just per role. Couldn't find out if Agent A had submitted me or if they called dibs and then did f all about. Absolutely stupid carry on.

Wrote a letter to both agents and the previous person I was supposed to be I interviewed with last time explaining how ridiculous the situation was. Agent B replied thanking me for supporting them as it's a useless arrangement for them as well. Heard nothing from the others.

It's not a financial company in W York's is it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not the same company. This one is an insurance syndicate in London.
      Annoyingly I'm pretty sure that the other agency wasn't advertising the role, so weren't in competition for it.
      Could probably be sorted by agency waving the restriction but that would be too much trouble for HR.

Comment

When I have had to acknowlege these (usually by emailing back a preprepared statement) I reword them to only include the named company for the specific role I am going for. No agency has ever queried my edit, but that might just be that they don't read them when recieving them back.
        Last edited by Bozwell; 28 August 2015, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
          When I have had to acknowlege these (usually by emailing back a preprepared statement) I reword them to only include the named company for the specific role I am going for. No agency has ever queried my edit, but that might just be that they don't read them when recieving them back.
          I do the same, so it must be more common than you think.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Bozwell View Post
            How does that help if the client has agreed that Agency A has dibs on you?

Comment

I have taken to doing the same, i.e. Agree to represent for the specific role at the specified company but, expat points out, the client and the agency have their own agreements. In this specific instance the Agency in question wasn't even competing for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                How does that help if the client has agreed that Agency A has dibs on you?
                This hits the nail on the head, you can change the restriction on your contract all you want, but this does not change the agreement between the client and agency.

To the OP - can the other agency represent you in the new role? If hey are interested in you, it puts you in a nice bargaining position with agency A; eg they take smaller cut/you get a bigger rate

Comment

I agreed to representation and found out later that my CV hadn't even been put forward!!!!

So I went forward with the other agent instead.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    I agreed to representation and found out later that my CV hadn't even been put forward!!!!

So I went forward with the other agent instead.
                    Indeed. I agree to specific company/role provided my CV has been put forward.

If HR have some stupid restriction then you are stuffed. I have heard of Barcap doing this in the past.

Was it Shakespeare in Henry 5th part 2 who said "first lets kill everyone from HR"?

Comment

Working...
                    X