• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever Been in a Rock Band?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever Been in a Rock Band?

I've previously posted about my involvement in Cut Double but I was wondering if anyone here is/has been in a band & has any tales to tell of their time on the road?

One of my most memorable nights (though, for all the wrong reason - it was a very sad night) was a gig we did at Somerset College of Arts and Technology down in Taunton back in '88.

As mentioned, we were forced to give up on the harmonium and badly needed a new gimmick and it was our drummer who came up with the perfect solution.

A grandfather clock!

Yes, we actually managed to incorporate a grandfather clock into our act and it was such a great gimmick that we changed our name.

We were now known as Timepiece.

At first, the clock just featured at the start of the show - we would walk on stage while our guitarist played a heavy metal version of the News At Ten & then the clock would chime before we launched into our first number.

But later the clock became a fully integrated member of the band - he even had a name; we called him Chad. We wired him up with flashing lights and hooked him up to a controller that would allow our guitarist to go over to Chad and play little phrases to him and Chad would respond by chiming back at him with his neon lights flashing like mad.

Anyway, it all ended that particular night when we were backstage huddled round a portable TV watching Bilko before we came back on stage to do our encore.

We were alerted by a sickening crashing sound accompanied by a metallic ringing as Chad hit the bottom of the lift shaft after having been carried off stage by some impatient students.

And that was the end of poor old Chad.

And that was the end of Timepiece too (but we were still better than Roachford ).

Yes. I was in charge of dealing with those crazy arsed women willing to do anything for a pic or a sig

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Yes. I was in charge of dealing with those crazy arsed women willing to do anything for a pic or a sig
      We didn't get many women at our gigs unfortunately.

Mostly long haired oiks in army surplus trench coats.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
        a gig we did at Somerset College of Arts and Technology down in Taunton back in '88.
        If you were playing in the pubs around Taunton at that time I would probably have seen you. Don't remember a band with a clock though.

Great times.

Comment

No.

But my cousin was the drummer in a band who I doubt many of you have heard of called Angletrax.

They made a tiny dent in the newwave / punk scene in the late 70s & he rubbed shoulders with a few of the great & the good of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            If you were playing in the pubs around Taunton at that time I would probably have seen you. Don't remember a band with a clock though.

Great times.
            Played the Winchester in Trull (on the back of a flat bed truck in the car park!),
            Malt shovel in Bridgwater along with Bridgwater Arts Centre where we played with the Witchdoctors on a couple of occasions.

Comment

I was in a few nearly name bands in the 90`s when I lived down in London. I quit it all when I moved up north. Although I`m in a cover band now though, can`t lose the bug!

Comment

I was Roadie for a band back in the nineties we had some great times, played a gig in a nightclub in Hull I think it was called Caesars palace wall to wall with students completely off their heads, they had bouncers at McDonald's.

Did a gig in the roughest pub ever, next to a gypsy camp managed to get to the end of the set and this massive punch up kicked off between 2 rival families landlord got a broken nose and when the crowd finally dispersed there was this 25 stone women laid out sparko in the middle of the floor apparently she started it.

Best gig though was supporting the UK Subs, we arrived about 3 hours before the opening and setup and sound checked the UK Subs were nowhere to be seen, then about 10 minutes before start they rocked up, they had been fishing all afternoon, they didn't bother with a sound check and asked if we could leave our amps and drums on stage to save time during the change over, I swear they never had any equipment with them, when they came on the crowd went wild massive mosh pit full of 50 year old punks reliving their youth

Great days Eddie!! great days!!!!

Comment

Will someone rid me of this dull sockie?

Comment

Envy! Singing blues in a local club is nearest I ever got.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X