• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

8.3million people living in the UK were born abroad: Official figures shocking!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.3million people living in the UK were born abroad: Official figures shocking!

8.3m living in UK were born abroad, revealing scale of immigration to Britain | Daily Mail Online

Very interesting scare mongering article from the Daily Mail. 8.3 million people living in the UK now born aboard, 27% of new babies born are to immigrants.

Now what I thought was interesting was, this isn't right is it. If 8.3 Million people living in the UK where born aboard and have 27% of new babies, then's that
    's an extra 2.5 million odd. But they're not going to be 'born outside' they're born inside, so that's now 8.3 million born outside and 2.5 million (2nd generation).

When you look at London, it;s quite obvious that 80% are 'foreign'. And 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are classed as 'British' but as we know in a lot of cases, have not integrated.

On that basis, what is the real number of 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th Immigration. How many can class thenselves as true British?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    8.3m living in UK were born abroad, revealing scale of immigration to Britain | Daily Mail Online

Very interesting scare mongering article from the Daily Mail. 8.3 million people living in the UK now born aboard, 27% of new babies born are to immigrants.

Now what I thought was interesting was, this isn't right is it. If 8.3 Million people living in the UK where born aboard and have 27% of new babies, then's that
    's an extra 2.5 million odd. But they're not going to be 'born outside' they're born inside, so that's now 8.3 million born outside and 2.5 million (2nd generation).

When you look at London, it;s quite obvious that 80% are 'foreign'. And 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are classed as 'British' but as we know in a lot of cases, have not integrated.

On that basis, what is the real number of 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 5th Immigration. How many can class thenselves as true British?

I really don't understand the question.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      If 8.3 million people out of 64 million people are classed as 'being born outside' of the UK, and 27% of their children are considered to be 'born in the UK', then for existing immigrants the number is 8.3 + 2.5 approx(10.8).

If you go back one, to those who are 2nd generation how many 3rd generation kids do they have etc.

So based on immigration, what is the proportion of

1st
      2nd
      3rd
      4th
      5th
      Picts
      Saxons etc

Just wondering what the true level is if you go 1-3, >3

Comment

It's simple o'level maths ... the answer is 12
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Listening to Radio 4 on the way home the number is a bit flawed. I believe it also includes people born abroad that are also English Nationals. I was born abroad to English parents but apparently I'm counted as one of those 8m. Emma Watson was born in Paris and she's counted as well etc.

They said the figure of foreign born non nationals is around the 5.6 - 6mil... Which doesn't make anything any better IMO.

Summat like that anyway.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            . I was born abroad to English parents but apparently I'm counted as one of those 8m. .
            Bloody foreigners coming here and taking our contracting jobs!!!

Comment

Dunno. My mother was born in India. Does that make me a 2nd generation immigrant?

All four grandparents were born in Scotland though, so 3rd generation I'm Scottish.

Still confused.

Comment

Good news for your fantasy BTL empire, eh?

Comment

Dunno. My mother was born in India. Does that make me a 2nd generation immigrant?

All four grandparents were born in Scotland though, so 3rd generation I'm Scottish.

Still confused.
                  Depends on what your father was, and whether your mother was actually British, but travelling in India.

While we're at it, just watching the news on migration from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, can anyone tell me what the impact of Tony Blairs actualy foreign policy and warmongering is?

Comment

While we're at it, just watching the news on migration from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, can anyone tell me what the impact of Tony Blairs actualy foreign policy and warmongering is?
                    +200% yield on dirty cheap BTL

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X