• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract partway through

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a contract partway through

Im new to contracting and am halfway through my first 6 month contract. Client is happy and I expect a renewal but I dont think I want to stay on for another 6 months. Given this is my first contract I think it will look bad on my CV if I did not get a renewal. Any advise here? Should I just reject a renewal if I dont intend to stay on for the full term? Should I just suck it up as a newb and take the full renewal and see out the term. The latter option I guess will be the best play for my CV. Thoughts?

Not renewing is not the same as leaving a contract half way through.
    Maybe you meant 'leaving a job half done'
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
      Im new to contracting and am halfway through my first 6 month contract. Client is happy and I expect a renewal but I dont think I want to stay on for another 6 months. Given this is my first contract I think it will look bad on my CV if I did not get a renewal. Any advise here? Should I just reject a renewal if I dont intend to stay on for the full term? Should I just suck it up as a newb and take the full renewal and see out the term. The latter option I guess will be the best play for my CV. Thoughts?
      I have several contracts that I didn't renew including my first which was 3 months. Why do you think not renewing will look bad?

Comment

Why don't you want to stay?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I just thought my CV would look stronger with a contract renewal on it, as evidence of client satisfaction.

A few reasons why I would prefer to leave, my role was not clearly defined and I am not happy with the direction it is moving in. I also came in right at the bottom of the market rate and have since seen numerous opportunities at around 50% higher than my rate.

Just to clarify, I dont intend to leave partway through this term, but was considering accepting a renewal and maybe leaving partway as soon as I secured something better.

Comment

do six months, explain it as a three mother with a three month extension

explain that after 6 months you were so great that the 12 month project was finished early and you are chomping at the bit to perform as brilliantly successfully for your next client
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

sell yourself man
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by breaktwister View Post
                Although I've been guilty of accepting renewals in the past when I should have probably moved on, it ends up setting a precedent whereby a client will just expect you to renew ad infinitum while it suits them. Remember that once the project you are working on is complete, the likelihood is that the client wouldn't think twice about terminating the contract. If the client knew they had a 12 month project, the contract should have been that length in the first place.

The best play for your CV is to have a strong skill set, wisely chosen projects/clients and the confidence to back up everything you say in an interview.

Originally posted by gables View Post
                I have several contracts that I didn't renew including my first which was 3 months. Why do you think not renewing will look bad?
                Some agents do like seeing renewals although I'm sure I'm not alone in being told by agents that you need X months/years experience or a few renewals in a particular sector/technology before they'll put you forward for certain roles only to be told once you've got the requisite experience that they now require something else.

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                sell yourself man
                ^^ What EO said.

Part of being a contractor is having confidence in your own abilities and being able to sell the skills you have... if you don't have the skills that the market requires, obtain them and then sell yourself!

Comment

I would add that most of my decisions are aimed at maximising my profit. The only exceptions are , I wont do anything illegal, preserve the mental health

as far as the OP is concerned, bail out, spin it, move onwards and upwards
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                    Although I've been guilty of accepting renewals in the past when I should have probably moved on, it ends up setting a precedent whereby a client will just expect you to renew ad infinitum while it suits them. Remember that once the project you are working on is complete, the likelihood is that the client wouldn't think twice about terminating the contract. If the client knew they had a 12 month project, the contract should have been that length in the first place.

The best play for your CV is to have a strong skill set, wisely chosen projects/clients and the confidence to back up everything you say in an interview.

Some agents do like seeing renewals although I'm sure I'm not alone in being told by agents that you need X months/years experience or a few renewals in a particular sector/technology before they'll put you forward for certain roles only to be told once you've got the requisite experience that they now require something else.

^^ What EO said.

Part of being a contractor is having confidence in your own abilities and being able to sell the skills you have... if you don't have the skills that the market requires, obtain them and then sell yourself!
                    Spot on with this. I agree that after a bit clients do tend to assume you're going to renew.

Like you said, a lot know they want you for 12 months but still want to do it in 3 months chunks. Fair enough but dont moan if someone decides they dont want to stay....

But this agency liking renewals thing is a load of tulipe. Some contracts are only and ever will be X months. I've done ones like this. It is not a good measure of whether the contractor was any good or not.

But like you, I find it difficult to turn down renewals.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X