• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sensible !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensible !

London safer lorry scheme in force after cyclist deaths - BBC News

A ban on "unsafe lorries" in London, introduced as part of efforts to protect cyclists, has come into force.
    Heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) must now be fitted with side guards to prevent cyclists being dragged underneath.
    HGVs must also be fitted with a certain type of mirror to give drivers a better view of cyclists and pedestrians.
    But hauliers criticised the move as a "blunt regulatory tool" and said more should be done to target a minority of rule-breakers on London's roads.
    sorry Lorry drivers the stats are against you

Seven of the eight cyclist deaths in the capital this year have involved HGVs.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

But lorries are still free to squash cyclists in every other UK town and city?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I would be interested to see the back up to the stats:

Who caused the accident? I am not saying that all drivers are innocent but having seen how some of the cyclists act on roads: I believe both sides can be at fault.

The side guards: how many accidents would have been prevented / minimised if these were in place & if it’s worth regulation then fine but let’s make it UK wide.

Who is enforcing the regulation? Or is it only in the event of an accident that the guards are looked for?
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        But lorries are still free to squash cyclists in every other UK town and city?
        Don't want dead cyclists putting of Chinese and Russian dirty money from the London property market.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Who caused the accident? I am not saying that all drivers are innocent but having seen how some of the cyclists act on roads: I believe both sides can be at fault.

The side guards: how many accidents would have been prevented / minimised if these were in place & if it’s worth regulation then fine but let’s make it UK wide.

Who is enforcing the regulation? Or is it only in the event of an accident that the guards are looked for?
          Mostly lorries turning left at junctions apparently, partially mitigated with advance cycle boxes but they only help when they have room to put them down and you have room to cycle into them and no bmw/audi twats have parked in them
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

VOSA will enforce it with large penalties for not complying if past history is anything to go by. HGV's have to have regular inspections (used to be every 6 weeks) and this requirement will be added to the list of things that need to be checked. The costs for complying will probably be quite high as the 'guards' will, more than likely, have to come straight from the manufacturers. Again, if past history is anything to go by foreign lorries won't have to comply.

The side guards may prevent cyclists or pedestrians being dragged under an HGV but I wonder what other types of accidents they will cause - same applies to the new mirrors - both will add to the width of the vehicle.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Doesn't matter who caused it, someone is still dead. By all means prosecute muppet cyclists many of them need it.

The side guards also prevent cars & other road users going under them, having been between 2 lorries who decided to overtake me both sides it was a real threat.

I agree UK wide and applying to every lorry regardless of origin would be great.

I suspect as its London only then enforcement will be via camera & police stops. Would love to See VOSA (as mentioned above) inspecting and certifying lorries as complying so ANPR can be used.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

FFS. "Insisting that I ensure that I don't crush people under my massive lorry and can see what's around me is a blunt regulatory tool." Bunch of s

Comment

If I undertake a lorry on the motorway and they crash into me, its my fault.

Why is it not the same if you are on a bike
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Corbyn would definitely ban all lorries from London and provide a safe dedicated route for all cyclists. He is the only politician who we can rely on to tackle issues sensibly.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X