• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quality Assurance in Software Engineering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Assurance in Software Engineering

My recent visit to a spray drier plant in Devon gave me first hand exposure to quality control in action in the context of a production line scenario and it got me thinking about quality and its relation to the software engineering process.

We have the quality controllers - the testers but we by no means have an integrated Quality Assurance function. Elements that could be incorporated into an integrated programme are largely carried out by disparate parties. I include among these code reviews, employment of code analysis tools, enforcement of unit testing and code coverage.

Should all these be incorporated into a separate body vis a vis manufacturing industry thus imposing a Quality Assurance layer on what is already arguably a complex administrative structure?

Indeed, is it wise to apply management processes taken from manufacturing industry where perhaps processes aren't readily transferable from the start stop nature of the production line to the environment of the software house?

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    My recent visit to a spray drier plant in Devon gave me first hand exposure to quality control in action in the context of a production line scenario and it got me thinking about quality and its relation to the software engineering process.
    Were you spray testing summat there?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Were you spray testing summat there?
      spray drying his B*llsh*t to use as fertilizer? It could cure world hunger.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        spray drying his B*llsh*t to use as fertilizer? It could cure world hunger.
        He owns a Bull ?!!

Comment

Try working in IT for a Japanese car manufacturer if you want to see it done properly.

Comment

Working...
          X