• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Dies on the Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Dies on the Bench

or:
    Dr Helen Sanderson's husband and daughters face losing their home because she passed away on Christmas Eve after taking the day off. - Daily Mirror

It's hard to drag the facts out of the story but it seems she left a full time GP position to become a locum, it reads like locums are still covered by death in service cover but not between contracts:
    The death in service guidance from NHS Pensions Authority explains that should a locum GP find themselves in between contracts - even if it is just for a matter of hours - they will not be eligible for a death in service payment if they die.

While I have every sympathy for her family it reads to me that she went contracting and didn't arrange sufficient insurance.

For a moment I thought this was about ...

Comment

Makes sense, you'd think they'd have gap insurance to cover the time not in a contract.
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
        or:
        Dr Helen Sanderson's husband and daughters face losing their home because she passed away on Christmas Eve after taking the day off. - Daily Mirror

The death in service guidance from NHS Pensions Authority explains that should a locum GP find themselves in between contracts - even if it is just for a matter of hours - they will not be eligible for a death in service payment if they die.
        So taking a day off, even if in a contract, is now considered between contracts. Makes no sense...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It's more about how locums are viewed as still being employees, reading through some documents it seems you can be a locum through your own Ltd concurrently with your 'full time' employment at the same surgery! no wonder HMRC are chasing contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            So taking a day off, even if in a contract, is now considered between contracts. Makes no sense...
            That's just spin by the paper. BMA - Pensions - FAQ Locum GPs | British Medical Association
            says:

If, for example, you are scheduled to locum for a practice for four weeks and were to die on a Sunday during those four weeks your spouse, nominated person or estate would receive a payment of twice your average dynamised earnings.

If, for example, you are scheduled to locum for a practice for five days from Monday to Friday of one week and you were to die on the Friday evening, after your scheduled work had ended, no death in service payment would be payable.

Comment

does seem like the pension company needs to be leant upon.

Seems too arbitrary to me, they should just charge a monthly fee for Locums death in service.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Seems too arbitrary to me, they should just charge a monthly fee for Locums death in service.
                Reading between the lines she was taking a day off between contracts and hence wasn't covered. I'd say a locum is a contractor and shouldn't be covered by death in service at all by the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  Reading between the lines she was taking a day off between contracts and hence wasn't covered. I'd say a locum is a contractor and shouldn't be covered by death in service at all by the NHS.
                  in which case don't let her contribute to the pension. Or make it really clear there is no death in service and reduce contributions accordingly. The death in service is part of the pension benefits that she paid for.

Easiest is to offer Death in service premium and then when they turn it down the insurance company is in the clear.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The obvious issue here is what happens if you locum for one day a year, should you get coverage for the entire year? What about if you locum for three months, take 3 months off, then kark it on the last day of that holiday? I reckon it's fine to pay out for people that are actually working for you within a contract, including weekends, and likewise not pay out if there is no contract. So I don't see a problem.

Life insurance isn't crazy expensive, and as a contractor, it's one of our necessary business expenses (if you have a family etc.).

Heck it's something you should get as a permie, and if it's not a benefit, go out and buy it yourself. Obviously again, only if you think you need it.

People need to take responsibility.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X