• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Footballers come under new tax regime?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Footballers come under new tax regime?

Is Gorgie targeting only IT guys or other professionals too?... aka. Locum Doctors, Footballers, solicitors.
    I believe they also have simliar contracts and middleman( agents!)
    I tried finding answers without much luck though!

Cheers
    W.

Didn't Rangers get investigated for paying players through dubious tax efficient vehicles? I would have thought once the sign they are more or less a permanent employee so won't get T&S relief anyway.

Not sure how Doctors and Solicitors work at the moment but it will include them if they go through agents, I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Didn't Rangers get investigated for paying players through dubious tax efficient vehicles? I would have thought once the sign they are more or less a permanent employee so won't get T&S relief anyway.

Not sure how Doctors and Solicitors work at the moment but it will include them if they go through agents, I imagine.
      Doctors and Solicitors work direct or through agents.

If they use agents than they have to use a vehicle such as a limited company or umbrella company.

Basically there are lots of different industries that use temporary highly skilled staff.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A lot of footballers and 'pop stars' and entertainers work through LTD's. They were specifically excluded from IR35 in 2000.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          A lot of footballers and 'pop stars' and entertainers work through LTD's. They were specifically excluded from IR35 in 2000.
          they work through whatever their accountant says they should work through

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonPiper72 View Post
            Is Gorgie targeting only IT guys or other professionals too?... aka. Locum Doctors, Footballers, solicitors.
            I believe they also have simliar contracts and middleman( agents!)
            I tried finding answers without much luck though!

Cheers
            W.
            If they use the models mentioned in the legislations then yes, if not, no. Simples.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The main salary for a footballer would be PAYE as employees, a LTD company would be set up for image rights and sponsorship which as they come from various other sources there is no problem with IR35 etc.

I know athletes have some exceptions when it comes to global earnings, so they only pay the tax on their UK Income (IANAL)
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I was also under the impression that footballers club salary is PAYE

Have you not seen the supposed pay slip for Tevez that did the rounds a while ago?

Comment

If you are referring to EBTs then Rangers have won twice in court against HMRC. There is another appeal in the system that will be heard next month.

As it currently stands there is nothing "dubious" about EBTs and HMRC have failed to prove otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    The main salary for a footballer would be PAYE as employees, a LTD company would be set up for image rights and sponsorship which as they come from various other sources there is no problem with IR35 etc.

I know athletes have some exceptions when it comes to global earnings, so they only pay the tax on their UK Income (IANAL)
                    Trust me it's not in a lot of cases. A large percentage of footballers outside the top tier (on anything up from a grand a week) are going through LTD's where the LTD has a contract with the club rather than the individual.

The argument about control, company uniform etc was used hundreds of times back in 2000 and there was a specific exclusion for footballers and entertainers.

A lot of bands have the individual members as LTD's all contracted to a LTD for the band which is in turn contracted to their management and record company etc.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X