• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'I own 75 buy-to-let properties but I haven't deprived other buyers'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'I own 75 buy-to-let properties but I haven't deprived other buyers'

Of course you didn't

"" The Government is coming under increasing pressure to reverse draconian new taxes applying to buy-to-let investors, announced in the July 8 Summer Budget.

Landlords argue that not only will the change force them to evict tenants and sell properties en masse, but that it will also prevent the building and development of new homes - hindering the Government’s objective to increase housing supply.

The proposed tax change, applying in full from 2020, will only hit those landlords with mortgages. Many landlords have calculated that they will have to pay more than 100pc of their profits in tax when the change is fully implemented.

Scroll down for a worked example of the new tax.

Torquay landlord Graham Chilvers owns 75 properties. None of them, he says, could have been bought by first-time buyers - because in every case he either built or restored them himself.

Under the Government’s proposed tax changes, the financing of such projects would no longer stack up, he said.

Potential properties would remain derelict or would have to be developed by large commercial companies who are not impacted by the proposed new tax, which only targets private individuals. "

“The Government justifies its attack on buy-to-let by saying landlords have an unfair advantage over people wanting to buy their own homes,” Mr Chilvers said. “But no homebuyer was competing with me on any of these properties.”

Mr Chilvers is pictured in front of a former Victorian hotel which in 2004, when he bought it, was in disrepair and occupied by squatters.

He converted the main building into nine two-bedroom apartments, and built two three-bed homes in the space formerly occupied by a swimming pool.

Many of his other properties were also once hotels or care homes, while some he built from scratch.

He reckons his portfolio is worth £6.4m, against which there is a modest £2.4m borrowing.

Rental income totals £330,000 per year. The cost of mortgage interest is £80,000 with maintenance, insurance and other expenses coming in at £100,000 to £120,000.

That gives a taxable annual profit of between £130,000 and £150,000.

His tax bill today is around £50,000. When the new taxes are fully applied he will pay an extra 32pc in tax, with his bill rising to almost £70,000.

He would then be paying a tax rate of 44pc. "

Source: 'I own 75 buy-to-let properties but I haven't deprived other buyers' - Telegraph

75 fooking properties, how is that sensible to do without wrapping them into Ltd?

Ah, that's because banks won't give lend to Ltds...

As pointed out. If interest rates go up. Btl landlords lose money as the tax is greater than the profit. Hence the acceleration of a housing crash in the next few years.

As the bites in fully by 2020, landlords will start to sell by 2017. Also as you cannot leverage borrowing to make a profit, especially on new builds or renovations then that will start to cause an issue where nobody buys.

Basically Kirsty is fooked and we're going to see a housing collapse.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Basically Kirsty is fooked and we're going to see a housing collapse.
      I am planning to buy this time next year

Comment

Let's see: "That gives a taxable annual profit of between £130,000 and £150,000. His tax bill today is around £50,000. When the new taxes are fully applied he will pay an extra 32pc in tax, with his bill rising to almost £70,000."

So after tax, he currently takes from £80,000 to £100,000; in future he'll take £60,000 to £80,000.

I appreciate that lots of greedy, selfish ****ers hate having to pay their fair share, but I'm sure he'll muddle along somehow

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          So after tax, he currently takes from £80,000 to £100,000; in future he'll take £60,000 to £80,000.
          I appreciate that lots of greedy, selfish ****ers hate having to pay their fair share, but I'm sure he'll muddle along somehow
          There should have been no tax relief on interest on mortgage for BTL just like there is none for normal people who bought their only house - unless they used Ltd, which really should have been legally required for BTL activities.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I am planning to buy this time next year
            I was planning to buy this year, but I'm having second thoughts now after reading this.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

I'll be finally buying when this all crashes down, I was looking at next year, but if this forces a huge sell off, I'm going to wait!

Comment

So everyone will hold off buying now, which means a lot more renters, which means more people looking to rent, less property on the rental market, higher rents, means more profit for BTL.

Osborne is a sneaky **** isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Let's see: "That gives a taxable annual profit of between £130,000 and £150,000. His tax bill today is around £50,000. When the new taxes are fully applied he will pay an extra 32pc in tax, with his bill rising to almost £70,000."

hardly the point, if we reduced you to benefits you would muddle on.

The man has built up a business and this tax change will ruin it.

I say again who do you think will take over being a landlord, are you sure they will be a better option or rents will stay so affordable?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I will still sit here smoking my cigar living in a mortgage free villa and making profit out of my mortgage free house in Harrogate

Comment

Working...
                    X