• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hardly captivating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardly captivating

Lady Chatterley's Lover, BBC One, review: profoundly unfaithful' - Telegraph

How faithful should an adaptation of a classic be? Barely anybody reads D H Lawrence any more so Line of Duty creator Jed Mercurio may have felt he had a free hand to do what he wanted with Lady Chatterley’s Lover (BBC One). But I confess I watched through latticed fingers from the moment we encountered Oliver Mellors (former Game of Thrones star Richard Madden) as a colliery blacksmith witnessing a fatal accident, then again in the trenches standing over the freshly crippled Sir Clifford Chatterley (James Norton).

Barely a flicker of the above is in the original. I stopped listing the infidelities after that. Mercurio could be forgiven for tightening the loose stays of Lawrence’s wafty plotting,
    so was it a literary ravaging with no thought to the original or great television?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I saw an article a few weeks ago with Jed Mercurio enthusing about his "different" approach or interpretation or whatever. I thought then it'd probably turn out to be a train wreck, as most people have never read Lawrence and don't care, and those who do like his stuff are going to be up in arms about any meddling with it.

Looks like that's what's come to pass, though of course if the production had been faithful to the book down to the last jot and tittle, the Mail would have been roundly condemning the BBC for a missed opportunity to offer a new perspective

Always found Lawrence a bit tedious myself <- view based on getting through about five pages of Sons and Lovers when it was an optional text for Eng Lit O Level before giving up and never reading another word by the guy, but nonetheless counting as "informed opinion" by Daily Mail standards.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I saw an article a few weeks ago with Jed Mercurio enthusing about his "different" approach or interpretation or whatever. I thought then it'd probably turn out to be a train wreck, as most people have never read Lawrence and don't care, and those who do like his stuff are going to be up in arms about any meddling with it.

Looks like that's what's come to pass, though of course if the production had been faithful to the book down to the last jot and tittle, the Mail would have been roundly condemning the BBC for a missed opportunity to offer a new perspective

Always found Lawrence a bit tedious myself <- view based on getting through about five pages of Sons and Lovers when it was an optional text for Eng Lit O Level before giving up and never reading another word by the guy, but nonetheless counting as "informed opinion" by Daily Mail standards.
      I read it voluntarily in my teens, this was completely bastardized which was a pity for those that hadn't read it. They should have explained it was inspired by.

I quite liked him,sometimes slow going but frequently informative. He illustrated the class system quite well, haven't read sons & lovers though.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Dunno.

I was watching "Catweazle" on the grounds that it was more interesting.
        do you remember the yellow pages ad, 'Fly fishing, by JR Hartley'
        shortly after, people started publishing jackets with that title, for a larf.

I want 'Curses and Flying, by Rapkyn'
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
        X