• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dogs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs

Not a thread about Mary Poppins and her friends out on the town, but the four legged types.

We got a puppy 3 months ago and took out one of them Pet Plan & Insurance policies. It's got a 100 quid excess for vets fees.

So far in three months it's had

Injections, Worming Tablets etc (which I had to 120 quid for)
    Then we pay 55 quid per month for insurance, which so far we've not been able to use, because the fees always come to 100 quid (or there about) and then a separate cost for medicine which isn't included.

(1) Dog got sick / lethargic had a virus
    (2) Bad eyes (conjunctivitis)
    (3) Tick bite gone septic
    (4) Twisted it's leg

It cost be 900 quid to buy the bloody thing, it's cost about 700 quid in insurance and 450 quid in fees we couldn't claim for. In addition, we went away on holiday and cost 300 quid for somewhere in addition to the 100 quid it's costing in food each month.

What are my options?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

injections and worming tablets cost £120 - they saw you coming.

Our pup had its injections as part of a puppy pack for £50, and worming tablets cost £2 a go.

I'd have a look at a different vets.

You say you have had the puppy 3 months and pay 55 / month for insurance. how have you come to the figures of 700 quid ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      injections and worming tablets cost £120 - they saw you coming.

Our pup had its injections as part of a puppy pack for £50, and worming tablets cost £2 a go.

I'd have a look at a different vets.
      They look after the Queens Corgis. I think they're kosher.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Local Chinese Take Away will probably take it off your hands.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

you moaned at the vet about only earning £200k? silly boy.

Dog Insurance for £8.93pm - MoreThan.com‎

How much is your flea and worm treatment? | Pet Forums Community
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            They look after the Queens Corgis. I think they're kosher.
            They may be Jewish but they are obviously not cheap.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sounds to me like you've passed your HIV onto the poor puppy.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Did you call your dog suity?

I went with these people for pussy insurance (on norrahe's suggestion)

https://www.eandl.co.uk/pet

They've got a refer a friend scheme too!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  What are my options?
                  Perhaps you should shop around for better value insurance. Whatever you do, do not go uninsured. One of my dogs got a grass seed in her paw last month. The paw swelled up and she needed an operation to remove it. Total cost so far is around £800.

Having insurance may be expensive. Not having insurance is definitely expensive.

Comment

Tesco Pet Insurance - we've been with them for a while. I think it's about £400 a year for our spaniel - have used it a few times and they have been quick to pay out with no hassle. Also, several vets offer a package deal - ours is about £100 for...Annual Health Check and Vaccination Boosters, 6 month Health Check, 12 months flea treatment , 12 months tape and roundworm treatment.

<vent time>
                    As for paying £900 for the dog, if you like inbreeding in humans, then go for an inbred "pedigree" dog.
                    There's plenty of dogs at rescue centres that need rehoming and cost a lot less than that. Also, they tend to have all their injections up to date and will already have been neutered/spayed, so that's another cost you'll save on.
                    </vent time>
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X