• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting an Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting an Extension

No, not that sort.

Extension to your house.

Ever weighed up the pros & cons of extending vs moving?

I have planning permission for a 2 storey extension & I've had a couple of quotes in. Bit on the pricey side - I was always thinking about the stamp duty I'd save & neglected the VAT.

I don't want to throw away money on this. The easy way go do this is get someone in who will provide the complete service.

The cheaper way is to get various people in and manage it myself. I've got a mate who can do the basic building work & hopefully he can get all the raw materials for the complete job VAT free through his trade accounts....

..but that sounds like a major headache.

I just resent the idea of paying £15k tax out of money I've saved & already been 'kin taxed on.

Maybe I just need to suck it up...

Are you thinking about getting a new patio?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Are you thinking about getting a new patio?
      How frightfully lower middle class

Comment

I wouldn't publicly talk about not paying the VAT. You never know the the tax man may find out.

Comment

Get over to Calais and find some Syrian builders
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Get over to Dover and find some Syrian builders
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
              The cheaper way is to get various people in and manage it myself.
              Only if you have construction management experience

Otherwise:

, you WILL pay more
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                Only if you have construction management experience

Otherwise:

, you WILL pay more
                No I don't.

I suppose it's a question of not paying over the odds & how much net value I'm adding to the property.

I'm not doing this to make money - I'm doing it because I need more space and as an alternative to moving. That said, I don't want to be throwing money down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                  That said, I don't want to be throwing money down the drain.
                  Ensure the new drain has some kind of mesh guard, so the money can't fall down the drain

Would your local estate agent come and value your property, and be prepared to give you a rough guide how this would be impacted based on the changes you're considering?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We went with a single storey extension, 2 floors would have been better but the aggro coming to a acceptable layout upstairs within a reasonable build cost cancelled it out.

You also have to think about other stuff around what additional bedrooms will get for you when you sell. If you go from a 2-bed to a 5-bed house but only have parking for 1 car outside, chances are people won't be attracted to it no matter build quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X