• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a read on a situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a read on a situation

Interviewed for a gig in the West Midlands on 25th August (which was a Tuesday). Initial feedback was great. They really liked me and wanted to hire. It was a bit odd that the CTO travelled all the way up from London to interview me, and tried to cut the interview an hour short as he was certain he had made his mind up and wanted to hire me. The PM bristled and said that he would like to carry on with his hour of interview.

I drove home. The pimp called and said it was looking good and if he was a betting man it would be in the bag in a couple of days. Then that slipped to Friday. Then the following Monday. Then the next few days. Then that Friday. Then on Monday of this week there couldn't be a decision for 3 weeks as the CTO is now on holiday.

I told the pimp to kill it, as they sound like an absolute shambles and I really don't need that in my life right now.

He called this morning. The PM is trying to find a way around the problem and is liaising with the hiring manager. They now want to re-interview me next Wednesday, on site and then reckon they can get a decision out "in a couple of days".

I have said no initially. I have suggested a Skype interview as a suitable alternative.

What do the panel think?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Interviewed for a gig in the West Midlands on 25th August (which was a Tuesday). Initial feedback was great. They really liked me and wanted to hire. It was a bit odd that the CTO travelled all the way up from London to interview me, and tried to cut the interview an hour short as he was certain he had made his mind up and wanted to hire me. The PM bristled and said that he would like to carry on with his hour of interview.

I drove home. The pimp called and said it was looking good and if he was a betting man it would be in the bag in a couple of days. Then that slipped to Friday. Then the following Monday. Then the next few days. Then that Friday. Then on Monday of this week there couldn't be a decision for 3 weeks as the CTO is now on holiday.

I told the pimp to kill it, as they sound like an absolute shambles and I really don't need that in my life right now.

He called this morning. The PM is trying to find a way around the problem and is liaising with the hiring manager. They now want to re-interview me next Wednesday, on site and then reckon they can get a decision out "in a couple of days".

I have said no initially. I have suggested a Skype interview as a suitable alternative.

What do the panel think?
    Sounds like you were number two. Their first choice didn't work out so are now trying to get you in re-evaluate if they want you in...
    Last edited by Alias; 9 September 2015, 08:34.
    Join IPSE

Comment

Whenever an interview has gone extremely well I have never got the job! I am always a bit remote in interviews to try to compensate.

Do you have anything else on the go? I think from elsewhere the answer is no?

Personally I would take the interview on site, be really polite, try your hardest.

I expect the gig will be a mess. But keep invoicing, keep looking.

I will now let the trolls take over and post bollox...

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
        Sounds like you were number two. Their first choice didn't work out so are now trying to get you in...
        I really don't think it's that. Seriously. I genuinely think they can't organise themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
          Sounds like you were number two. Their first choice didn't work out so are now trying to get you in...
          To some posters here, suity will always be a number two!

Sorry suity...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Whenever an interview has gone extremely well I have never got the job! I am always a bit remote in interviews to try to compensate.

Do you have anything else on the go? I think from elsewhere the answer is no?

Personally I would take the interview on site, be really polite, try your hardest.

I expect the gig will be a mess. But keep invoicing, keep looking.

I will now let the trolls take over and post bollox...
            Really don't need this in my life right now.

Comment

What do the panel think?

I think your a prima Donna and a diva who would be impossible to manage. Best you turn it down, I wouldn't wish you on them
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                What do the panel think?

I think your a prima Donna and a diva who would be impossible to manage. Best you turn it down, I wouldn't wish you on them
                I'm a contractor. If you think back to your dim and distant past when you were a failed contractor you should remember that contractors don't have managers, they have clients.

HTH BISDI

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I really don't think it's that. Seriously. I genuinely think they can't organise themselves.

Maybe they're just not in a massive hurry and want to ensure they get the right guy. Maybe it's a key role on a project that will run for years.

What better do you have planned for that day? JFDI IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Maybe they're just not in a massive hurry and want to ensure they get the right guy. Maybe it's a key role on a project that will run for years.

What better do you have planned for that day? JFDI IMHO.
                    Painting whichever room in the house I am on at the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X