• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC complaint - outcome?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC complaint - outcome?

I will shortly decide whether to settle or pay APN and join BG. My reasons for considering settlement include having a relatively small liability (meaning the SO figure vs. the potential overall cost of BG membership + even an optimistic guess at final negotiated settlement are not terribly dissimilar), I believe that my exposure to IHT will be small (or within thresholds based on latest letter from CLSO team), and wanting to focus on positive future events rather than this mess.

However, I have been communicating with HMRC and I'm building up a reasonably good trail of correspondence that I am considering using to make a formal complaint about the whole thing, because regardless of my final choice, I feel bullied and pressured into making a decision whilst they remain elusive and wooly regarding some details.

My question is, other than an internal feeling of getting things off my chest, what is the best case, and what is the most likely outcome of doing this? I suspect it's not worth the effort, but my stubborn side still wants to do it.

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    I will shortly decide whether to settle or pay APN and join BG. My reasons for considering settlement include having a relatively small liability (meaning the SO figure vs. the potential overall cost of BG membership + even an optimistic guess at final negotiated settlement are not terribly dissimilar), I believe that my exposure to IHT will be small (or within thresholds based on latest letter from CLSO team), and wanting to focus on positive future events rather than this mess.

However, I have been communicating with HMRC and I'm building up a reasonably good trail of correspondence that I am considering using to make a formal complaint about the whole thing, because regardless of my final choice, I feel bullied and pressured into making a decision whilst they remain elusive and wooly regarding some details.

My question is, other than an internal feeling of getting things off my chest, what is the best case, and what is the most likely outcome of doing this? I suspect it's not worth the effort, but my stubborn side still wants to do it.
    What has one to do with the other?
    Regardless of which option you choose, if you feel you have been bullied and treated unfairly, I think you owe it to yourself to at least hold them accountable. Especially if you have material to back it up.
    Just my 2c.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      What has one to do with the other?
      Nothing, I just wanted to pre-empt this turning into a settle vs. don't settle debate.

I think I probably will. I'm just wondering what the outcomes could be as it might inform the approach.

Comment

Working...
      X