• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you support a military coup against British Govt?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you support a military coup against British Govt?

29% Americans support military coup against US Govt.

Source: Poll finds almost a third of Americans would support a military coup | US news | The Guardian

CUK poll to follow
    Yes I would
    22.22%
    No, I would not
    55.56%
    I would only if AndyW's mum and Mitch would
    22.22%

How terribly vulgar.

A Very British Coup (TV Mini-Series 1988) - IMDb
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      " Harry Perkins, steel worker and trade unionist from Sheffield, becomes Prime Minister of the UK by a landslide, partly because of corruption and public disillusionment with the Conservative Party and financial institutions of the City of London. The IMF, the military and their secret service "comrades" start to plot against of the elected PM. They are unhappy with the non-nuclear and neutral aspirations of his party (during the Cold War) and are supported in their fears by nationalistic media moguls. Quietly, the protagonist Harry is driven by an underlying desire to compensate for the corporate manslaughter of his granddad, "who were killed at work" when he was "splashed by molten steel". Harry inherited his shaving mug, nothing more, and was originally determined to see workers participate in decision making for safety on the job. As his national-political consciousness grew he formed a wider agenda for a reinvestment in health and education as well as public ownership of public utilities. Harry maintains his drive despite sex scandals, the suicide of his Chancellor of the Exchequer's wife and the assassination of his trusted military advisor Monty Kowalski. Harry says that "the dead [read: his grandfather, Annette Newson and Monty] ask the best questions, and we are answerable". He finds some personal support in his ex-lover Helen, a passionate advocate for alternate economic strategies, and Harry's spy in the corridors of power; Thompson, an investigative journalist. But ultimately this is a story about one man's passion. There is a haunting sound of helicopters in the background on the second election day scene. One imagines; is this the day when democracy has gone too far? Will the military take over? Even in a country like the UK? Or is it just a media Helicopter trying to document the radical change? "

Comment

I think you can say that everyone from S58 would say yes.

Comment

It was a very poor poll - the headline seemed to indicate that 29% wanted a military coup imminently.

However, when you look at the detail, the wording of the question is more inclined to ask whether you would ever support a coup - to me that conjures up images of a police state executing people in the street - in which case, I was surprised it wasn't even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            that conjures up images of a police state executing people in the street - in which case, I was surprised it wasn't even higher.

It isn't higher because most of the people being shot in the street by the police are not white Republican gun owners.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
            X