• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As migrants fill his properties, Fergus Wilson puts up rents by 33%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As migrants fill his properties, Fergus Wilson puts up rents by 33%

But landlord has ‘concern’ for low-income Maidstone-born people who are priced out

Fergus Wilson, Britain’s most controversial buy-to-let landlord, is increasing rents across his 900 houses in Kent by up to 33% and filling his properties with eastern European migrants – while at the same time saying that Britain is heading for a “housing disaster”.

Wilson told Guardian Money that when he let a three-bed mid-terrace home in Maidstone, Kent, last weekend, he managed to hike the rent from £900 a month to £1,200. Most of the demand, he says, is from migrants who are willing to pay higher rents than other local residents.

He will now be seeking similar rent increases across his property empire.

“I will not be asking them to leave but will serve them with a Section 13 Notice to increase the rent so that they have the opportunity to move to another landlord should they wish. That is if they can find a house of the same quality and a price they can afford. By the time they have paid out fees etc, some will take the view there is not much in it.”

He said a red-hot lettings market in Kent means he can fill houses within hours. “In Maidstone, houses are let the moment a tenant moves out. New tenants move in the next day! The houses in Maidstone are filled with east European immigrants who are very necessary for the economy. I do have a concern for low-income Maidstone-born people who are being priced out of it. (AtW's comment - if things are that good, then it should be easy to find a buyer for those properties...)

“We have more and more legal immigrants but nowhere to house them. It has passed crisis point in Maidstone. We have a housing disaster on our hands. Gobbling up the countryside is hardly the answer, but where do the people go displaced by east Europeans?”

When asked why he has to increase rents, he says landlords have no choice in response to budget tax changes that will slash the amount of tax that can be offset against mortgage interest paid. “Many landlords are saying they simply will have to charge more rent. It is the distinct shortage of houses that is fuelling the rent increases. If the government wish to control rents, it must supply more houses, and quickly.”

Last year Wilson said he was selling his portfolio to foreign buyers, but the collapse of the Shanghai stock market has put those plans on ice. “Chinese investors are not in the abundance of previous months, for obvious reasons.

Source: As migrants fill his properties, Fergus Wilson puts up rents by 33% | Money | The Guardian

How the feck migrants can afford to pay even £900 per month?
    Last edited by AtW; 12 September 2015, 19:46.

Good man.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      How the feck migrants can afford to pay even £900 per month?
      I'm a migrant and I pay three times that. We're not all unskilled labourers living in bedsits in Birmingham you know...

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        I'm a migrant and I pay three times that. We're not all unskilled labourers living in bedsits in Birmingham you know...

Comment

Market is riduculous at the moment. I tried to view three houses at the weekend that came up during the week and they're all sold already.

Valuations on my two small BTLS now show them at 150k each. That's only just over a year since I finished the build and they were at 125 each.

Rent in the area only moved about 5% though
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No doubt Dodgy Dave will give him a gong for services to the UK.

Comment

He is so fat he will die soon [emoji133]
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                He is so fat he will die soon [emoji133]
                At least his wife has the sense to wear stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  No doubt Dodgy Dave will give him a gong for services to the UK.
                  Well it's Dave & Co, and the previous govt, that engineered this whole situation. No point in attacking the symptoms of it.

Comment

and you want the small BTLers to turn their properties over to jackals like these?

#TurkeysVote4XMAS

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X