• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

9 Months Contracting + 4 Years Accounts = Difficulty Getting Mortgage. Help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 Months Contracting + 4 Years Accounts = Difficulty Getting Mortgage. Help!

Hi guys,

I'm new on here so bear with me.

I'm having difficulties in getting a mortgage for a new build as a FTB. Which is annoying. Here's why:

Been contracting for the past 9 months + 3 months left. Director of my ltd. I have 4 years accounts, but only 9 months as a contractor.

I'm looking to buy a new build property of circa £300k. Paid the reserve. Will lose it if I don't close in 3 weeks.

Experian credit score: 999. Past 4 years salary & dividend payments at standard (£40k). 2 credit cards with £15k limit. Total balance on both is just about £3.5k. Day rate > £400.

First mortgage consultant: "Decision in Principle rejected. Please send me your credit report". I sent it and she said she doesn't understand why it was rejected. Tried with Virgin Money, it was accepted, but I didn't meet other criteria.

Second mortgage consultant: "Halifax decision in principle accepted at half the mortgage value. But not for full loan value." Said something about me not having an extensive loan profile. I can't use my accounts as it'd be too low.

Third mortgage consultant: "Decision in principle accepted by Halifax for 20% HTB, 15% deposit and 65% mortgage". I can't afford 15% deposit.

Need advice on what to do next. I'd prefer to deposit 5%, use 20% HTB and loan 75%.

Try Contractor Mortgages Made Easy
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Or call Freelancer Financials
      https://www.freelancerfinancials.uk.com/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

as above, they sorted me

Comment

Easy Street Financial Services | Financial Advice in Surrey and surrounding areas. sorted me out.

Ian got me a £400,000 mortgage less than a year ago with halifax based on having a 6 month £400 p/d contract, some credit reports and personal bank statements.

I assume you can do it without the broker, but they tend to push to where it needs to be until it happens as they're no mortgage no fee lots.

Comment

definitely use a contractor friendly mortgage broker - to joe bloggs @ high street bank it looks like you earn £40k/year

one flag I did notice is that you're trying to buy a new build - apparently (according to broker I'm going through at the mo) banks don't trust new build valuations as much, so aren't willing to take as much risk on them - so that might be another thing holding you back

Comment

Originally posted by tymolls View Post
              Hi guys,

I'm new on here so bear with me.

I'm having difficulties in getting a mortgage for a new build as a FTB. Which is annoying. Here's why:

Been contracting for the past 9 months + 3 months left. Director of my ltd. I have 4 years accounts, but only 9 months as a contractor.

I'm looking to buy a new build property of circa £300k. Paid the reserve. Will lose it if I don't close in 3 weeks.

Experian credit score: 999. Past 4 years salary & dividend payments at standard (£40k). 2 credit cards with £15k limit. Total balance on both is just about £3.5k. Day rate > £400.

First mortgage consultant: "Decision in Principle rejected. Please send me your credit report". I sent it and she said she doesn't understand why it was rejected. Tried with Virgin Money, it was accepted, but I didn't meet other criteria.

Second mortgage consultant: "Halifax decision in principle accepted at half the mortgage value. But not for full loan value." Said something about me not having an extensive loan profile. I can't use my accounts as it'd be too low.

Third mortgage consultant: "Decision in principle accepted by Halifax for 20% HTB, 15% deposit and 65% mortgage". I can't afford 15% deposit.

Need advice on what to do next. I'd prefer to deposit 5%, use 20% HTB and loan 75%.
              What deposit do you have? You may struggle if you can't reach 15% as many lenders impose maximum LTV restrictions on new-build property. There are one or two that I can think of who will go above this but it absolutely must be a builder on their list and a broker on their list too. The length of time that you've contracted will be an issue above c.70% LTV with some also.

Can't work out the restrictive figures above unless there's anything that you've not mentioned here, on contractor policy Halifax would view your income as £96,000, which would make even a 90% mortgage at £270k fairly comfortably achievable....?

Comment

Working...
              X