• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tied in, or?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tied in, or?

Hiya All, another dumb newbie question from me I'm afraid

I've signed a letter worded something along the lines of:

I, xxxx confirm that I have read and accept the Terms and Conditions and accept the offer of a contract with xxx to provide services in the capacity of xxxx to the xxxx as detailed below: START, END etc.....

I haven't actually signed and returned the contract yet though, say I was offered another contract (for example), am I tied to this contract based on the above? ?

Anyone? I've now been offered the other gig on favourable terms, any advice appreciated......

Comment

IANAL, but surely you can't have one contract that says you will agree to another contract?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Well, basically I've signed the above "letter" but not the contract.

Now I am being offered a more favourable contract........

Comment

Erm, but you have signed a contract

if your original post iis correct. It seems all you can haggle over are some of the conditions.
          Why not?

Comment

Say I pulled out of the contract; what consequences can I expect?

Comment

Sounds like you've signed a contract for the first one IMHO. Its like I agree to sign a contract. So not quite sure how it works out.

What is the out clause on the letter? Or I would assume a cooling off period of 28days relates to anything you sign? Anyone?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

why dont you just get the lawyers onto it. Try Bauer and Cottrell or Lawspeed?

Comment

Reasonable depends on the length of the contract i.e. 3 months would be 7 days etc. Remember you are supplying a service and no agency/client is allowed to give you an unfair contract by law, and vice versa.

(The cooling of time is for distance selling to consumers which by law is a minimum of 7 days. )

If you pull out of contract if the agent/client is clever they would have written the contract so you pay them so money if you pull out without any or insufficient notice. Otherwise most of the other stuff would fall under a restrictive covenant/be illegal and if you get threated with court action, get good legal advice to get it argued away.

Comment

Reasonable? Cooling off period?

He's not buying a Pc from PC World FFS, he's signed a contract to provide services. If you don't like the contract or expect to get something better, then don't sign it, but once you've signed it, you're contracted.

Written a contract so that they don't suffer financially by you reneging on the contract you signed. Restrictive covenant/be illegal, what are you talking about? I would quit this stuff and just go get a job if I was you, you seem to think like an employee, so you might as well be one.
                    Last edited by Dundeegeorge; 7 October 2006, 10:57.
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X