• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One-Off Job Rate Check?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One-Off Job Rate Check?

I have a possible one-off job opportunity direct from a client (ie no agency).

The client has asked for a quote on the work and I'm not sure what I should be asking for as most of my contracts the agency has suggested the rate and I have accepted/rejected/negotiated.

The client is an extremely large company, but I don't want to get greedy, over-charge and scare them away.

It's basically the task is to setup two firewall pairs (so four boxes in total). Both pairs will have failover configured. One will be used for road warrior VPN access, and the other will be a basic firewall allowing packets one way, and not the other.

It's a fairly simple task (albeit I don't know anything about the client's network yet so I could be underestimating). I have already created a PoC environment at home with similar configurations so that I can prepare myself, and if all goes smoothly, it should only take a few hours from unboxing, to working.

My previous one-off job (different project, different client, totally different technologies), suggested a fixed day rate of £540. Do you guys think this would be too high for this job?

My answer

No

Comment

Make sure you stick + VAT at the end of your quote
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You will always underestimate.

Think about the maximum time you would need to get the work done and quote that or alternatively offer an hourly rate.

When you have a generous range then the maximum time is usually how long it actually takes.

For example you might think you could get done in 2 days, but in 2 weeks it would definitely be completed. That is the range.

In this case it will probably take you 2 weeks.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          You will always underestimate.

Think about the maximum time you would need to get the work done and quote that or alternatively offer an hourly rate.

When you have a generous range then the maximum time is usually how long it actually takes.

For example you might think you could get done in 2 days, but in 2 weeks it would definitely be completed. That is the range.

In this case it will probably take you 2 weeks.
          Following on with that - perhaps suggest a day rate of £540 capped at 10 days so that they can raise a PO for 5400 and you'll look awesome if you do it in 7 or 8 days.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Following on with that - perhaps suggest a day rate of £540 capped at 10 days so that they can raise a PO for 5400 and you'll look awesome if you do it in 7 or 8 days.
            For such a short piece of work, I would be going in quite a bit higher than your usual day rate.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              For such a short piece of work, I would be going in quite a bit higher than your usual day rate.
              We don't know what usual day rate is, but I totally agree. If normal day rate is £400, £550 would not be unreasonable.

Comment

IMHO

Go in higher rather than lower.

Estimate time and add 50% contingency for the "knobbers at ClientCo" factor.

For a short piece of work go with a higher day rate too, as war chest in case it takes a little time to find something else.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

£400 a day + VAT is pretty fair in the current climate. I've seen similar roles in Investment Banking only offer £350-400 a day.

£540 is fantasy land greed IMO. You can easily get a months work out of this @ £400 a day with reasonable length days vs 10 days longer hours & charging a rate the client is unlikely to hire you on again.

Right now they could put this on Jobserve & within 2 hours have several viable candidates willing to do this for £300-400 a day

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    £400 a day + VAT is pretty fair in the current climate. I've seen similar roles in Investment Banking only offer £350-400 a day.

£540 is fantasy land greed IMO. You can easily get a months work out of this @ £400 a day with reasonable length days vs 10 days longer hours & charging a rate the client is unlikely to hire you on again.

Right now they could put this on Jobserve & within 2 hours have several viable candidates willing to do this for £300-400 a day
                    it should only take a few hours from unboxing, to working.

The main difference here is the running term is likely to be very small, therefore the rate should have a premium attached.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X