• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple Maths Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Maths Question

Trying to represent the improvement on something an email to the business. We have a number of reports that used to generate in 45 seconds, that's now been improved to just 5 seconds.

The first person said the improvement was 80%
    His boss changed it to show it as an improvement of 8x because it looks better.
    While I calculate it's a decrease of 88.9% (which I could call an 'improvement'). If I was to do a times improvement though, I would say it was roughly a 4x times improvement (4.125) improvement.

What is the nX times improvement?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Isn't it a 9x times improvement. 45 seconds being 9x slower than 5s?

Comment

900% improvement

Comment

Simple Maths Question

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        900% improvement
        +1

Is it one of those Facebook tests?

Comment

45/5

Comment

If you could get them sent in 5 seconds I bet most here could do it in 0.5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Isn't it a 9x times improvement. 45 seconds being 9x slower than 5s?
              The improvement is only 40 seconds, not 45.

Then again, a two times improvement to most people would mean double what it was before, even though it's only a one times improvement.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                The improvement is only 40 seconds, not 45.

Then again, a two times improvement to most people would mean double what it was before, even though it's only a one times improvement.
                Uh....a one times improvement would be no improvement because, y'know, maths

If you have one banana and I double your lot (a 2x improvement) then you'll have two bananas.

Comment

If you have one banana and I double your lot (a 2x improvement) then you'll have two bananas.
                  No, the improvement, i.e. the increase is 1 banana. Therefore it's a 1x improvement. 1+ 1 = 2 and all that. A 2x improvement would mean I now have three bananas.

It's amazing the human race has achieved anything with this to contend with.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

"5% improvement" = *1.05
                    "100% improvement" = *2.00
                    "200% (2x) improvement" = *3.00

Comment

Working...
                    X