• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go (to America) ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go (to America) ?

Job offer expected this week. I can,

(1) Move to the US as ClientCo permie, earn a lot, leave everything behind, dump the very nice GF Platypus before going, get there, work like a slave, be miserable, come back, lost everything. Optional: marry my US 'friend' who it turns out is a lunatic (as predicted on here) and/or frigid.

(2) Not move to the US, stay with GFP, likely have ClientCo say 'F you' and terminate my contract, be unemployed, lose everything.

Or another view,

(1a) Move to the US as ClientCo permie, earn a lot, leave everything behind, dump the very nice GF Platypus before going, get there, work like a slave, be happy, new life is a dream. Optional: marry my US 'friend' who it turns out is simply wonderful and a nymphomaniac.

(2a) Not move to the US, stay with GFP, likely have ClientCo say 'F you' and terminate my contract, find a new job (massively unlikely to be as well-paid as now, maybe in the local Waitrose), be employed, be happy (but poor) and thank my stars that I didn't emigrate.

I need to decide today.

What would you / Jesus / MF /Suity do ?

P.S. This really is my current situation

1a or 2a

Probably 2a
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Where in the USA?

Nice part of California or some red neck hell hole?

USA is vast, climate, economy, house prices, gun nutters as diverse as the whole of Europe.

Comment

3) Take current GF to America?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          USA is not the UK, you can't just "bring your GF". Wife yes, but GF would need a residency visa otherwise she would only be allowed a holiday visa and would have to return to the UK and then apply for another holiday visa.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            WMSS.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            USA is not the UK, you can't just "bring your GF". Wife yes, but GF would need a residency visa otherwise she would only be allowed a holiday visa and would have to return to the UK and then apply for another holiday visa.
            Oh. Rats.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

What would you / Jesus / MF /Suity do ?
              Jesus - would dump Girlfriends and move to the Desert, take up with a load of blokes & a prostitute.
              MF - Crack up and get lost at the Airport.
              Suity - repopulate the planet with anything that moves.

You - Are you sure you can't get another job? Are you sure you can't stay working for them?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Can't bring a GF under UK immigration rules either unless you've cohab'd for 2 years.

Comment

Is GF Platypus definitely NOT up for a bit of time in America? then take her else 1a or 2a.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Can't bring a GF under UK immigration rules either unless you've cohab'd for 2 years.
                    Depends on the work visa he gets. But normally you have to be at a company for at least a year before they will offer you a US visa.

I would commute. Been doing it for years. It's a jet-setting, hotel, champagne life style with absolutely no stress at all and causes no drinking, sleep or mental health issues whatsoever

Plus the chicks love an English accent, I have to beat them off with a stick everytime I go over.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X