• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New TV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New TV?

I am considering buying as new tv. A bigger one.

Any recommendations, where to buy/look? Online preferably.

Richer sounds are usually pretty good.

Richer Sounds

And a good forum for all things audio/visual in the UK:

AV Forums
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Ta snaw.

Comment

Look in AVforums.com for recommendations.

I've decided that nothing less than maximum HD resolution with a minimum size of 50 inches will do. Don't think there're any like that on the market yet, or if there are they're not at a sensible price. I've pencilled in a new Sony 55 inch rear-projection set that's due out next year.

(Note that nearly all the sets currently being sold for HD in the UK only support the lower 720 line resolution.)

Comment

Wait for SED technology to hit the market, then make your choice

There are currently two common HD formats 720p and 1080i, and HD ready sets should be compatible with both.

More than likely in the future we will see more HDTVs with high ‘native resolutions’ such as 1920 x 1080.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            All the programmes are crap, so what's the point?

An £80 one from Tescos is just the job.
            So true

Comment

All the programmes are crap, so what's the point?

An £80 one from Tescos is just the job.
              Agreed. Spend the money on expanding your library instead.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Does "Big Boobs Monthly" fit the library?
                Hum-Ahhhhh! Zeity said a rude word!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                  Wait for SED technology to hit the market, then make your choice

There are currently two common HD formats 720p and 1080i, and HD ready sets should be compatible with both.

More than likely in the future we will see more HDTVs with high ‘native resolutions’ such as 1920 x 1080.
                  However will you really be able to tell the difference between the two formats? Most likely not.

Then again, some audiophiles will tell you that 720p is better for fast action sports while 1080i is great for movies and the like?

Has anyone noticed though that if you go down to a shop selling LCD and Plasma tv's that the really expensive ones all have much better image quality than tv's that are cheaper and smaller in size. The cynic in me says they do this deliberately so you look at the smaller cheaper one and say to yourself "Ill buy the bigger more expensive one because it looks better"

There is an LG 27inch LCD panel that has an absolutely stunning image (and costs around £550) BUT if you look at various shops that very same tv will have a really grainy image while the more expensive model right next to it will be absolutely stunning!

Never trust a business who's only aim is to make money

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                    However will you really be able to tell the difference between the two formats? Most likely not.

Then again, some audiophiles will tell you that 720p is better for fast action sports while 1080i is great for movies and the like?

Has anyone noticed though that if you go down to a shop selling LCD and Plasma tv's that the really expensive ones all have much better image quality than tv's that are cheaper and smaller in size. The cynic in me says they do this deliberately so you look at the smaller cheaper one and say to yourself "Ill buy the bigger more expensive one because it looks better"

There is an LG 27inch LCD panel that has an absolutely stunning image (and costs around £550) BUT if you look at various shops that very same tv will have a really grainy image while the more expensive model right next to it will be absolutely stunning!

Never trust a business who's only aim is to make money

Mailman
                    I have noticed in John Lewis that only the LCD panels are plugged into the HD feeds

Comment

Working...
                    X