PDA

View Full Version : Corbyn Sweepstake

MarillionFan
15th September 2015, 21:23
Jeremy Corbyn odds: Bookies' tips suggest Labour leader could last just 475 days in the job | City A.M. (http://www.cityam.com/224256/jeremy-corbyn-odds)

Odds are 8/1 Corbyn doesn't make the year out, 5/2 next year and 7/2 year after.

Frankly I reckon he won't make the year, but I'll decide after tomorrows question time before heading to the bookies.

Poll to follow

AtW
15th September 2015, 21:35
Even if Korbyn quits earlier - he'll still have chance to win in 2020.

Hence, this sweepstake must not finished before that date.

scooterscot
15th September 2015, 21:37
I think he'll strike a chord with many who've never bothered to vote before. It seems to me the majority of the population are disillusioned with Westminster and what it stands for. Corbyn is likely to change that IMO. I reckon he'll go longer than the bookies think.

AtW
15th September 2015, 21:51
I reckon he'll go longer than the bookies think.

Bookies don't care - they (usually) make money either way by matching punters against each other.

Maybe Korbyn will finally introduce punitive rate of tax on gambling wins? How is it justtifiable that they are TAX FREE?!?!? :eyes

scooterscot
15th September 2015, 21:59
Bookies don't care - they (usually) make money either way by matching punters against each other.

Maybe Korbyn will finally introduce punitive rate of tax on gambling wins? How is it justtifiable that they are TAX FREE?!?!? :eyes

Why would you tax a lottery win?

AtW
15th September 2015, 22:11

Because work is taxed very heavily - gambling should not be encouraged, so taxation on such "wins" should be punitive.

barrydidit
15th September 2015, 22:13

I'm pretty sure that's only fair

MarillionFan
15th September 2015, 22:13
He will just make Xmas. Gobble, gobble, gobble, this Turkey aint going nowhere

AtW
15th September 2015, 22:23
He will just make Xmas 2020. Gobble, gobble, gobble, this Turkey will roast you with apples

FTFY

scooterscot
15th September 2015, 22:29
Because work is taxed very heavily - gambling should not be encouraged, so taxation on such "wins" should be punitive.

Driving to work triply taxed. You pay VAT on fuel cost that was already tax so you to arrive in the office to labour away so ~30% of your earnings are returned to the state.

AtW
15th September 2015, 22:48
Driving to work triply taxed. You pay VAT on fuel cost that was already tax so you to arrive in the office to labour away so ~30% of your earnings are returned to the state.

Yes for sure, and winnings in gambling should be taxed at least as much as income tax, ideally doubled.

Lotteries should not on one hand give false hope to those who play it, and on another hand enable Govt to dodge it's responsibilities towards "good causes" like museums, art galleries etc.

Ideal situation is when the big winner gets sudden 110% tax bill on his winning, totally bankrupting them in the process and putting off people from gambling what little they've got.

Waldorf
15th September 2015, 23:24
I must admit I am beginning to doubt that he will be leader by Christmas, the first few days have been unbelievable, even I did not think he would be this bad with his presentation.

MarillionFan
16th September 2015, 04:51
I must admit I am beginning to doubt that he will be leader by Christmas, the first few days have been unbelievable, even I did not think he would be this bad with his presentation.

His first question time today. It could be a car crash. It could be more cringy than watching Suity do a job interview

I also reckon we will see the return of the other Milliband within 12 months

MicrosoftBob
16th September 2015, 06:47

But he is already culling Labour HQ, then take out the number of Labour MPs owned by the unions and there will be lwon't be enough opposition within his party for a coup

scooterscot
16th September 2015, 06:57
Presentation skills course coming up.. Make sure you have a meal before presenting. That's my secret.

Gumbo Robot
16th September 2015, 08:08
Is the Torygraph going to shut the f**k up about sticking the knife into Corbyn and concentrate on some proper news or are they going to go on like this until he's given the heave-ho?

I'm far from being a labour supporter but that rag is getting really tedious.

tomtomagain
16th September 2015, 08:20

Which just show's how politically naive you are!

It might be the right thing to do but would instantly alienate a large section of society. Most of whom would be your core voters.

MarillionFan
16th September 2015, 08:21
Is the Torygraph going to shut the f**k up about sticking the knife into Corbyn and concentrate on some proper news or are they going to go on like this until he's given the heave-ho?

Not until he's gone. Which is why I'm down Ladbrookes to take the 8-1 he's gone before Xmas.

DaveB
16th September 2015, 08:22
Which just show's how politically naive you are!

It might be the right thing to do but would instantly alienate a large section of society. Most of whom would be your core voters.

Don't count on it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/109046-responsible-tax-common-good.html

Tax relief on gambling is one thing they could be looking at.

tomtomagain
16th September 2015, 08:24

They are going to keep going at it until either he's out or he wins.

Why wouldn't they? He represents everything they despise.

As I said before he's a big, easy target.

Not singing the national anthem on your first public engagement. How stupid was that? It's obvious that the press are going to have a field day on something like that.

vetran
16th September 2015, 08:25
Don't count on it.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/109046-responsible-tax-common-good.html

Tax relief on gambling is one thing they could be looking at.

If they did most gambling would move offshore.

MicrosoftBob
16th September 2015, 08:27
They are going to keep going at it until either he's out or he wins.

Why wouldn't they? He represents everything they despise.

As I said before he's a big, easy target.

Not singing the national anthem on your first public engagement. How stupid was that? It's obvious that the press are going to have a field day on something like that.

Stealing veterans sandwiches was another first day blooper

DaveB
16th September 2015, 08:28
If they did most gambling would move offshore.

Nope, your winnings would still be paid to you in the UK and so be taxable. Would have zero impact on the Bookies and gambling sites. Most of them are hosted offshore already anyway.

BA to the Stars
16th September 2015, 08:41
I wonder if the scruffy git will fasten his top button and wear his tie correctly, unlike yesterday.

tomtomagain
16th September 2015, 09:05
Imagine that you, as a contractor, suddenly and unexpectedly and after a lifetime of doing a technical job, wandering from company to company whilst claiming to despise HR, Office Politics and "Managers" become the CEO of a FTSE 100 business.

The chances are you'd be totally out of your depth, unprepared for the job, the life-style and scrutiny that goes with it. Unable to understand the language that the people reporting into you speak and not commanding their respect or loyalty.

Inexperienced in leadership, unable to formulate or articulate a cohesive vision and unable to effectively execute a plan as you have no track-record of running a large national organisation the chances are high that you would fail and be fired within months.

That's the position Corbyn finds himself in.

Some may say that this is "Refreshing" and that he is "genuine" but like it or not leadership of any organisation is far more than just having "radical ideas" and objecting to every decision made.

A lot of it is about how you show up. How you present yourself and how you are presented by others and like it or not, politics, like life involves a lot of compromise.

I am concerned about Corbyn's appointment. I have voted in 6 general elections. 4 for Labour, 2 for the Tories. Nothing I've heard from Corbyn so far encourages me or makes me think that he can run an effective opposition, never mind actually hold the office of Prime Minister. Nothing I've heard makes me think I'll vote for him.

It's very bad for the country as a healthy democracy needs good opposition parties. Someone who can really offer an alternative to the governing party.

Labour look like they'll move to the left and the Tories will respond by flooding into the centre ground, taking more of the moderate votes, pushing back a future Labour recovery.

Maybe he'll find his feet in the next 3 months and get into his stride. It's not impossible. But it seems more likely that he's going to be mullered every day by the press until he's ousted.

I am going to say no more on the subject but will continue to watch with interest!

d000hg
16th September 2015, 09:13
Luckily, Corbyn is elected right at the start of the governmental term though. So he has breathing space to find his feet. He has also been around the system for rather a long time and of course, now will have advisors (Sir Humphrey).

Ticktock
16th September 2015, 09:25
Imagine that you, as a contractor, suddenly and unexpectedly and after a lifetime of doing a technical job, wandering from company to company whilst claiming to despise HR, Office Politics and "Managers" become the CEO of a FTSE 100 business.

The chances are you'd be totally out of your depth, unprepared for the job, the life-style and scrutiny that goes with it. Unable to understand the language that the people reporting into you speak and not commanding their respect or loyalty.

Inexperienced in leadership, unable to formulate or articulate a cohesive vision and unable to effectively execute a plan as you have no track-record of running a large national organisation the chances are high that you would fail and be fired within months.

Have you been reading MF's threads? He wasn't made CEO you know.

minestrone
16th September 2015, 10:17
Cameron will make sure he wins this PMQs by a small margin, it is not in his interests to land a knock out blow in the first round on the biggest electoral gift since the Falklands conflict.

DimPrawn
16th September 2015, 10:23
Old scruffy git living in cloud coockoo land.

Michael Foot back from the grave.

Electorate will give him the support he deserves. :laugh

d000hg
16th September 2015, 10:39
Cameron will make sure he wins this PMQs by a small margin, it is not in his interests to land a knock out blow in the first round on the biggest electoral gift since the Falklands conflict.If Corbyn actually sticks to his guns and refuses to engage in the game of PMQs, he could get a lot of credit.

I sure wish someone would do this - Cameron claimed he would but later admitted failure to do so.

minestrone
16th September 2015, 10:57
I'm sure the Labour backbenchers want Cameron to go for the jugular :laugh

Corbyn will just pitch up with a few "won't you think of the children" questions and Cameron will reply with a few "we are the biggest European donors to Syrian refugees". Nothing will happen.

fullyautomatix
16th September 2015, 11:00
Is this sweepstake about when he will become Prime Minister ? Because its looking likely he will sweep to power in a couple of years with a huge mandate. I predict a massive landslide victory for Labour across the board. SNP and UKIP will be hammered.

DimPrawn
16th September 2015, 11:10
Is this sweepstake about when he will become Prime Minister ? Because its looking likely he will sweep to power in a couple of years with a huge mandate. I predict a massive landslide victory for Labour across the board. SNP and UKIP will be hammered.

Da Komrade!

https://workersspatula.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/stalincorbyn.jpg

minestrone
16th September 2015, 11:18
It's like listenting to a crappy Radio 2 DJ :laugh

"Bob wrote in asking about mental health issues, I'll be right back after shalamar"

AtW
16th September 2015, 11:48
Which just show's how politically naive you are! It might be the right thing to do but would instantly alienate a large section of society. Most of whom would be your core voters.

It's the choice between staying honest and doing the right thing within your capabilities or becoming a liar in order to get elected. In such situation I'd rather not get elected.

tomtomagain
16th September 2015, 11:57
It's the choice between staying honest and doing the right thing within your capabilities or becoming a liar in order to get elected. In such situation I'd rather not get elected.

So rather than gaining power and attempting to do the best you can for the most people you can you'd rather stay "true" to your beliefs and remain on the margins complaining whilst others take charge and make decisions that you disagree with?

AtW
16th September 2015, 12:07
Old scruffy git living in cloud coockoo land.

Michael Foot back from the grave.

Electorate will vote him in a snap election as the only way to stop General Strikes that will paralyse the country :ind

FTFY

AtW
16th September 2015, 12:08
So rather than gaining power and attempting to do the best you can for the most people you can you'd rather stay "true" to your beliefs and remain on the margins complaining whilst others take charge and make decisions that you disagree with?

Yes for sure, I am not prepared to lie in order to get elected. If electorate wants to vote for people who lie to them, then they deserve to be ruled by those people.

Corbyn was exactly that type and now he will be elected in a landslide in 2020.

OwlHoot
16th September 2015, 12:10
I wonder if the scruffy git will fasten his top button and wear his tie correctly, unlike yesterday.

WHS

It isn't even as if he has a beefy neck, quite the opposite. In fact the undone button highlights just how scrawny and skinny his neck is :laugh

AtW
16th September 2015, 12:12
I wonder if they kick out Corbyn from Her Majesty's banquet for not using correct fork? :eyes

tomtomagain
16th September 2015, 12:15
Yes for sure, I am not prepared to lie in order to get elected. If electorate wants to vote for people who lie to them, then they deserve to be ruled by those people.

Corbyn was exactly that type and now he will be elected in a landslide in 2020.

It's not lying its being adapting to face reality. If you never want to change or modify your beliefs then never run for power.

You can always make a living as a lobbyist or working for a charity. Then you can take the moral high-ground without ever having the fear of actually having to make a change.

barrydidit
16th September 2015, 12:21
PMQ's - did anyone watch? Did he ask my question about whether IT contractors can be excluded from the dividend tax and retain expenses?

AtW
16th September 2015, 12:22
It's not lying its being adapting to face reality.

It is all about telling lies, in this country they are just less direct like "we promise not to increase rates of income tax", then BANG - other taxes go up, THRESHOLDS for taxes go down or don't get increased by rate of inflation, the end result is the same - you get fooked over even though there was technically no direct lying (they did not promise NOT to increase dividend taxes, just promised to be pro-enterprise etc).

You can always make a living as a lobbyist or working for a charity. Then you can take the moral high-ground without ever having the fear of actually having to make a change.

Why can't I take a moral high ground now?

Chuck
16th September 2015, 12:31
PMQ's - did anyone watch?

I listened on the radio. Christ it was dull.

DodgyAgent
16th September 2015, 12:33
https://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/ae7bdb63-3869-400a-a540-00db25feb537-original.jpeg

This sums up all the mindless idiots the follow "populist" politicians

AtW
16th September 2015, 12:33
I listened on the radio. Christ it was dull.

You need two clowns to make PMQ funny

AtW
16th September 2015, 13:18
Dave Butland, 48, IT consultant from Reading

"It is interesting the press present Jeremy Corbyn as the extremist, but at his first prime minister’s question time he came across as reasonably moderate. His lack of experience showed in his slow, careful and occasionally stuttered delivery but his questions were put calmly and clearly. I’m sure this will improve with each week. David Cameron, in comparison, looks angry and impassioned with his responses. I think Labour took a little bit too much care not to be seem as overly passionate and extremist. A good, careful and low-key introduction to the Corbyn era."

Corbyn's first PMQs: 'he came across as moderate' (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/16/pmqs-verdict-corbyns-presented-as-an-extremist-but-he-came-across-as-moderate)

:yay:

DimPrawn
16th September 2015, 13:24
Dave Butland, 48, Soon to be ex IT consultant, working on tractor production line in 2020, in return for a potato soup voucher and regulation worker hut......

d000hg
16th September 2015, 14:03
PMQ's - did anyone watch? Did he ask my question about whether IT contractors can be excluded from the dividend tax and retain expenses?I thought it was interesting but hardly scintillating. But then, actually talking politics is far less entertaining than have a slanging match.

Someone did try to get in a dig about "teaching kids the national anthem" but it didn't go down very well.

I reckon Dave would quite like PMQs to be a bit less stupid so is quite happy.

minestrone
16th September 2015, 15:58
I hope this reading out questions from the public shit gets dropped pronto.

He did not bad I suppose but when he was reading out the questions it was cringing.

AtW
16th September 2015, 16:02
I hope this reading out questions from the public tulip gets dropped pronto.

Why? He asks PM what the public wants to know, rather than planted MP questions, if it sounds boring then you should try and visit local council meeting.

minestrone
16th September 2015, 16:07
Why? He asks PM what the public wants to know, rather than planted MP questions, if it sounds boring then you should try and visit local council meeting.

It reduces PMQs to the level of an #askDave session on twitter.

Cameron could have answered those questions in his sleep, Corbyn needs to man up.

AtW
16th September 2015, 16:14
It reduces PMQs to the level of an #askDave session on twitter. Cameron could have answered those questions in his sleep, Corbyn needs to man up.

PMQ should not be a dog and pony show.

MicrosoftBob
16th September 2015, 16:21
PMQ should not be a tom and jerry show.

FTFY

minestrone
16th September 2015, 16:24
PMQ should not be a dog and pony show.

Well if it goes on like this call me Dave just gets a platform to talk completely unhindered about how great he and his party is.

d000hg
16th September 2015, 16:26
It reduces PMQs to the level of an #askDave session on twitter.Not really, after all he has chosen which to read so can basically ask whatever he wants.

His first few weeks are really about setting himself up, getting used to it, etc. Dave's been doing this 10 years (on both side of the chamber).

AtW
16th September 2015, 16:27
btw Poll results strongly indicate that if Corbyn survives next 18 months then he'll win election by a landslide! :happy

Ticktock
16th September 2015, 16:27
PMQ should not be a Mexican pony show.

FTFY.

fullyautomatix
16th September 2015, 17:11
btw Poll results strongly indicate that if Corbyn survives next 18 months then he'll win election by a landslide! :happy

:banana:

Get in !! Just cannot wait for the next election, so exciting and so much to look forward to. I feel there will be elections in 2 years time. As Corbyn ratings zoom up, Tories will have to call an election.

AtW
16th September 2015, 17:21
FFS, there is a pretty catch many years option "Out before the election 2020" which covers 5 years :mad

d000hg
16th September 2015, 17:22
I could actually see an early election as a way for Cameron to get the new leader in while things are quite easy.

MicrosoftBob
16th September 2015, 17:25
The little problem of having a fixed term parliament will put paid to that kind of notion

We've got 5 years of listening to looney tunes before any chance of that

AtW
16th September 2015, 17:27
The little problem of having a fixed term parliament will put paid to that kind of notion

And the Parliament (tories who control it) can't change it's mind?

d000hg
16th September 2015, 17:56
I'm sure there are ways around it if they really want to but OK, fair point. I'd forgotten that.

original PM
16th September 2015, 18:18
http://www.sciforums.com/threads/the-death-tolls-of-socialism-and-capitalism.114760/

Try this link for a balanced argument...

MicrosoftBob
16th September 2015, 18:33
The Death Tolls of Socialism And Capitalism | Sciforums (http://www.sciforums.com/threads/the-death-tolls-of-socialism-and-capitalism.114760/)

Try this link for a balanced argument...

Lol bad trolling from Redstar, I bet he's just some spotty kid trying to wind up the geeks there

AtW
16th September 2015, 19:05
Did we do customary CUK Summer Holiday this year?

MicrosoftBob
17th September 2015, 09:03
It looks like Corbyn hasn't found a solution to his 'Jewish problem (http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/145025/a-minister-jews-its-a-terrible-idea)' :nazi: