• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

hi. Started contracting for the first time via an agency. Their terms of payment are an invoice to pay me is generated when I submit my 4th time sheet. I will then get paid within 10 working days of submitting my time sheet. Is that normal for an agency to do that? Thanks in advance

Are time sheets completed weekly?

Is invoicing every 4-weeks or weekly, starting 4 weeks in arrears?

Payment terms of 10 days isn't too bad.

Also, if you've already started the contract, it's a bit late to be worrying about the terms of the contract. For future reference, if you don't like the payment terms, negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractpf View Post
      hi. Started contracting for the first time via an agency. Their terms of payment are an invoice to pay me is generated when I submit my 4th time sheet. I will then get paid within 10 working days of submitting my time sheet. Is that normal for an agency to do that? Thanks in advance
      Always negotiate weekly payment terms, that way if the agency goes tits up you only lose a weeks dosh not a months otherwise.

Comment

are you generating your invoices and sending them or is the agency self billing?

you have described similar to my situation at present, which is weekly invoicing and 30 day payment terms, but without having a detailed example of a) timesheet submitted date b) invoice date c) payment date I'm afraid i couldn't really comment.

What are your payment terms in your contract and do they match the ageing and payment you are experiencing?

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Yes the invoices are submitted weekly, on a friday , 4 weeks in arrears. However I do not bill them its agency self billing. So it seems I only get paid when the client has paid them.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Yes the invoices are submitted weekly, on a friday , 4 weeks in arrears. However I do not bill them its agency self billing. So it seems I only get paid when the client has paid them.
            I wouldn't assume this. B2B can be up to 90 days billing and part of the agents role in all this is to factor payments so you are not exposed to the same payment timescales. You could be right but it's not a given.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The problem with self-billing is that, if, for some reason, the self-billed invoice doesn't get raised, it is hard to claim interest and compensation if/when the agency is late in paying (because the invoice hasn't been raised so can't be overdue).

For this reason, I have never accepted self-billing.

Comment

ok so similar to my situation.
                my contract states invoice weekly, 30 days payment terms
                self billing via agency.
                I however generate my own invoices dated on the timesheet submission date, add 30 days, and expect payment by then.
                Fortunately i am paid on time usually 28 days from MY invoice / timesheet submission date, but i will say that the agency change the invoice date on their invoice to their payment run date (so it appears in their accounts that they are running 5 day payment terms.
                this created great confusion for me in my accounts and over year end, so upon accountancy advise and as per my contract i create my invoices and record the invoice date in my accounts and for VAT purposes as MY invoice date, not the self billing.
                I hope this helps.

exact example:
                timesheet submitted 4/9
                my invoice dated 4/9
                Self bill invoice date 1/10
                Payment received 8/10

Comment

Does the agency name end in "phen"?
                  If so, hope you had the contract reviewed they are notoriously poor.
                  In any case you should have negotiated this, as them having pretty much 6 weeks money in thier hand is a concern.

I wouldn't assume this. B2B can be up to 90 days billing
                  Exactly this, very, very common.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    The problem with self-billing is that, if, for some reason, the self-billed invoice doesn't get raised, it is hard to claim interest and compensation if/when the agency is late in paying (because the invoice hasn't been raised so can't be overdue).

For this reason, I have never accepted self-billing.
                    You sound like my gran when she said she would never accept a toilet inside the house.

I'm on self-billing and when my timesheet is signed, I get an email to tell me that an invoice has been raised. If I didn't receive that email then I would chase it up, but it's never happened.

I think you need to come in from the cold, grandma.

Comment

Working...
                    X