• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singing the Anthem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singing the Anthem

Really, should this be such a big deal? How does singing a song you don't agree with show respect to anyone? Expecting someone to do so takes away the meaning of the thing in the first place - it's a then merely tradition or a matter of form rather than what is meant to be a heartfelt, passionate declaration.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Really, should this be such a big deal? How does singing a song you don't agree with show respect to anyone? Expecting someone to do so takes away the meaning of the thing in the first place - it's a then merely tradition or a matter of form rather than what is meant to be a heartfelt, passionate declaration.
    You still singing in church?

Comment

I've never sung it - but then again I'm a total leftie.

But not anti-monarchy, just ambivalent to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        You still singing in church?
        I'm not entirely sure what question you're asking? I would echo the same thing about people singing hymns in church when they're not believers though... those songs were written to express something. Is that what you meant?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what question you're asking? I would echo the same thing about people singing hymns in church when they're not believers though... those songs were written to express something. Is that what you meant?
          I don't recite the Lord's Prayer, as I am not a Christian. But I do sing most hymns on the VERY rare occasion I am in church for a funeral or wedding. I find hymn singing pretty badly done, so try and add a bit of baritone out of respect. It's a personal thing - like choosing to sing the anthem.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I must admit I think people at this level of power should be willing to sing it. It takes more effort to abstain than it does to join in so you are making a statement not singing it. It's not really down to a matter of choice, it's a conscious effort to be different.

Many of these things are symbolic and historical but it makes us what we are. If we did stop singing the anthem, waving our flags and being proud of who and what we are where would we be?

Saying that if he doesn't chose to fair enough but he then just has to shoulder the outcry and poor public opinion that comes with it, which to be fair to him he is.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you and your wife were invited to a mosque would you expect her (assuming you have a wife) to wear a scarf to cover her head?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Just got this from a mate, not sure of it's veracity....

"An eyewitness account from a serving officer
                "I would like to mention that during the service at St Paul's today, Jeremy Corbyn stood in dignified silence during the National Anthem, unlike the Secretary of Defence who was busy looking round and trying to catch the cameras. Thank you Jeremy for coming and paying your respects and not show boating and glad handing as Mr Cameron did. A man standing in dignified silence shows greater respect for the fallen than a noisy peacock and the PM and Defence secretary were not dignified.""

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I must admit I think people at this level of power should be willing to sing it. It takes more effort to abstain than it does to join in so you are making a statement not singing it. It's not really down to a matter of choice, it's a conscious effort to be different.

Many of these things are symbolic and historical but it makes us what we are. If we did stop singing the anthem, waving our flags and being proud of who and what we are where would we be?

Saying that if he doesn't chose to fair enough but he then just has to shoulder the outcry and poor public opinion that comes with it, which to be fair to him he is.
                  So he should sing a song asking a deity he doesn't believe in to protect a monarchy he doesn't support?

Then he'd be accused of hypocrisy.

I think a respectful silence is a valid alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Just got this from a mate, not sure of it's veracity....

"An eyewitness account from a serving officer
                    "I would like to mention that during the service at St Paul's today, Jeremy Corbyn stood in dignified silence during the National Anthem, unlike the Secretary of Defence who was busy looking round and trying to catch the cameras. Thank you Jeremy for coming and paying your respects and not show boating and glad handing as Mr Cameron did. A man standing in dignified silence shows greater respect for the fallen than a noisy peacock and the PM and Defence secretary were not dignified.""
                    Will that serving officer be so supporting when he loses his job, as Komrade Korbyn does not believe in defence and will have Putin's finest as our protective army?

Comment

Working...
                    X